The NIH is the premier biomedical research center for the world. Its 27 Institutes and Centers employ approximately 18,000 employees doing a vast array of jobs, all supporting efforts for a healthy nation. For information on the NIH mission, goals, and Institutes and Centers, visitNIH Overview
This position is located in the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), Office of the Director (OD), Office of Science Management and Operations (OSMO), Office of Workforce Effectiveness and Resources (OWER), Workforce Management Branch (WMB), in Bethesda, Maryland. This Branch assists senior managers in the areas of workforce planning, competency development and employment outreach to enhance overall organizational capability and talent development. You will serve as a member of the Workforce Planning and Competency Management team.
If you are selected for this position you will perform the following duties and functions:
- Provide advice and guidance to the Chief, WMB, as well as NIAID managers with regard to strategic human capital planning. Participate in developing annual and long-range NIAID workforce plans and related business and operational planning documents for integration with the overall NIAID strategic planning process.
- Research, analyze and prepare recommendations addressing human capital utilization.
- Assist in researching and analyzing programmatic data and reports on accomplishments, plans, trends and opportunities.
- Collect, analyze and interpret workforce data and identify gaps between the present workforce and future organizational requirements.
- Provide assistance to senior specialists/Team Leader in monitoring Institute-wide workforce planning and competency management programs and activities. Assist in evaluating effectiveness of these programs and make recommendations on ways to improve upon processes and systems.
- Work on teams and task groups on special projects of concern to senior management with particular emphasis on workforce or competency issues.
- Assist in developing and writing portions of reports, decisions, contracts or other action documents that enhance the effort to maintain an effective workforce of the Institute.
If you are selected at the GS-09 or GS-11 level, you will essentially perform the same duties at the full performance level described above, however, duties are less complex and will be performed under closer supervision with more detailed guidance.