QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED: Applicants for this position must possess a professional knowledge of accounting principles and practices as evidenced by the following: Completion of a bachelor's degree or higher in accounting or auditing.
Completion of a bachelor's degree in a field related to accounting, such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by at least 24 semester hours in accounting or auditing. (The 24 hours in accounting may include up to 6 hours credit in business law.)
Completion of a combination of at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge AND certification as a Certified Public Accountant or as a Certified Internal Auditor.
Completion of a combination of at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge AND completion of at least 24 semester hours in accounting or auditing of appropriate type and quality. (The 24 hours in accounting may include up to 6 hours credit in business law.)
IN ADDITION to meeting the basic education requirements, applicants must have: AT THE GS-13 LEVEL: Applicants must possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-12 grade level (in the federal sector). Specialized experience is experience that has equipped you with the particular knowledge, skills and ability to successfully perform the duties of this position and is typically in or related to this line of work. Examples of specialized experience include increasing efficiencies in the automated payment processing systems, controlling and managing the cost of processing documents within the branch, supervising and providing oversight requiring exceptional coordination and integration of a large number of important and complex accounting problems and projects.
This position does have a positive education requirement.
If you are including education on your resume, a listing of the college/university courses will do from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
We will review your résumé and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. If you meet the minimum qualifications, your experience, education and training will be rated using the on-line assessment to place you in one of three categories. The necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities to perform this job are:
1. Knowledge of the financial management theories, practices, methods and techniques.
2. Ability to apply knowledge of operating functions, procedures, and applicable legislation to assigned problems and to gather facts to draw conclusions therefrom and to devise solutions to complex problems.
3. Knowledge of the principles, theory, concepts and practices of all areas of financial accounting.
4. Skill in studying problems related to the accounting systems and discerning the need for revisions and improvements, initialing and "selling" ideas to line management for improvements and gaining acceptance for necessary changes.
If you meet the minimum qualifications, you will be placed in one of the following categories:
1. Best Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a superior level of all evaluation criteria.
2. Well Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a satisfactory level of the evaluation criteria.
3. Qualified: Applicants possessing the basic qualifications, with general knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Your resume and responses to the self-assessment questions are an integral part of the process for determining your qualifications for the position. Therefore, you must support your responses to the self-assessment questions by providing examples of past and present experience in your resume. Veterans with 5-point preference who meet the eligibility and qualification requirements are placed above non-preference eligibles within the category in which they are qualified. Veterans who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10% are listed in the best qualified category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-09 grade level or higher. For information on veterans' preference, click here. To preview questions please click here.