The Census Bureau produces quality data that help Americans better understand our country - its population, resources, economy, society and culture. We offer competitive salaries, flexible hours and work arrangements, developmental opportunities, recognition, a variety of benefits and health insurance plans, and a host of other employment incentives. If working in an environment that values your individuality and diversity and allows you to innovate, engage in problem solving, and achieve your professional goals appeals to you, then the Census Bureau is the place for you. Come join the Census Team and be responsible for contributing to the fabric of our nation - where everyone counts.
Applications under this vacancy announcement will be considered under external competitive procedures only. This vacancy is also being advertised under merit promotion procedures as (CHICAGO RO-2013-0025). (Click here if you cannot find this vacancy in USAJOBS) Each announcement requires a separate application using the Census Bureau's on-line application system by logging into http://www.usajobs.gov/ and clicking on "Search Jobs." Merit promotion procedures apply to current or previous Federal employees in the competitive service who are eligible for transfer, promotion, reassignment, or reinstatement. Merit promotion procedures MAY also apply to applicants seeking consideration through a special appointing authority such as Veterans Recruitment Act (VRA), Veterans Employment Opportunities Act (VEOA), Schedule A, etc. Please read the vacancy announcement to determine who may apply.
This position is in the competitive service.
This vacancy is for a Supervisory Survey Statistician (Field) position in the Chicago Regional Office, Field Division, duty stationed in Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN.
This is a supervisory position.
A one-year probationary trial/period may be required.
Relocation expenses may be paid.
This is a non-bargaining unit position.
The work schedule for this position is Mixed Tour. With a Mixed Tour work schedule, an employee may be changed between full-time, part-time and intermittent work schedules to accommodate fluctuating workloads and is subject to a signed agreement.
The Supervisory Survey Statistician (Field) has responsibility for planning, supervision and successful completion of one or more surveys in the Regional Office (RO) area. The programs assigned to an incumbent may include a variety of data collection activities (e.g., recurring or one-time surveys, special censuses), and/or special projects assigned by the Regional Director (RD), his/her Assistant RD, or Survey Coordinator. The responsibilities of this position include:
- Responsible for the direct supervision of field staff conducting data collection for one or more surveys assigned to a Regional Office (RO).
- Field assignments are planned and closely monitored for progress.
- Responsible for training Field Representatives when vacancies occur to maintain appropriate staffing levels.
- Responsible for evaluating survey costs monthly and recommending effective methods which will result in the survey operating within the monthly budget allocation.
- Responsible for property accountability of equipment assigned to subordinate staff.
- Responsible for conducting observations and re-interviews of field staff to evaluate employees' performance, perform quality control of data collected, and ensure all appropriate survey interviewing guidelines are being followed.