Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
Who May Apply: This vacancy is open to current Food and Drug Administration (FDA) employees with competitive status only. Competitive status refers to employees who are serving on a career or career conditional appointment.
PHS Commissioned Corps Officers currently employed with the Food and Drug Administration interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps may apply online to this announcement. Candidates will be referred to (CC) personnel and not as candidates for conversion to a permanent career or career-conditional appointment.
YOU MUST SUBMIT YOUR SF-50 (AND DD-214 IF APPLICABLE).
(Applications received outside this area of consideration will not be considered)
This position is located in the Southwest Region, Kansas District Office, Laboratory Branch located in Lenexa, Kansas.
This announcement may be used to fill multiple positions in multiple locations.
This position serves as a first line supervisor in an ORA field laboratory over a section of scientists and non-technical support staff. The incumbent is recognized as an authority in a scientific operational branch and deals with the legal, regulatory and scientifically difficult and sensitive issues in this area. The functions and activities in this area impact the work of regulated industry; State, local and foreign governments, as well as the general public. This incumbent is responsible for the technical and administrative supervision of an assigned unit.
Major duties include:
- Communicates program and management goals to staff, identifies targeted results and monitors time frames. Allocates and adjusts resources in response to workload and priority changes.
- Serves as technical expert in either microbiology or chemistry.
- Participates in group efforts , work with other Agency's and organizations for the success of the group. Maintains effective working relationships with group members.
- Perform the administrative and personnel management functions for the subordinate staff.
- Plans and assigns work to be accomplished by subordinates, sets and adjusts short-term priorities and prepare schedules for completion of work.
- Prepares budget needs/request for the unit.
- Responsible for personnel issues relating to subordinates under his/her supervision including but not limited to; evaluating performance, minor disciplinary actions and career development needs.
- Participate in seminars, workshops and other professional activities.
- Serves as Acting Director of the Science Branch with full responsibility.
- Testify in court as necessary.