Job Title:Supervisory Information Technology Specialist
Department:Department Of Energy
Agency:Department of Energy
Job Announcement Number:DOE-HQ-MA-13-00303-CR1
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Tuesday, July 23, 2013 to
Tuesday, August 13, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|few vacancies in the following location(s):|
Washington, DC, USView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
All U.S. Citizens
This position is also advertised to status candidates as a Merit Promotion announcement, vacancy # DOE-HQ-MA-13-00303-MP
The Department of Energy's (DOE's) overarching mission is the advancement of national, economic, and energy security of the U.S. through scientific and technological innovation and the environmental cleanup of the national nuclear weapons complex. You will have the flexibility and freedom to explore a world of possibilities through exciting and challenging career opportunities while helping to secure the U.S. future and make a real difference in the lives of Americans and people around the world. For more information, please visit our website the following link DOE
The Office of Management is seeking a motivated and highly-qualified candidate for an exciting full-time permanent position located in the Office of Acquisition and Project Management (APM), in Washington D.C.
To learn more about the Office of Management and APM, please visit the website at the following link: Office of Management
A successful candidate in this position will...
- supervise a division of information management specialists and procurement analysts;
- supervise office projects to design, develop, modify, implement and maintain automated procurement and financial assistance processes and systems;
- represent the DOE as an authoritative technical adviser on ad hoc interagency groups;
- lead development of policy and procedures and oversight of agency-wide information management/information technology procurement functions;
- supervise staff studies, reports, and correspondence related to specific procurement and financial assistance process and system policy matters; and
- oversee development and implementation of risk management and assessment strategies and techniques to enhance information security and information assurance of acquisition systems.
- You must be a United States Citizen.
- This employer participates in the e-Verify program
- Relocation is at your own expense
- See "Other Information" section regarding Selective Service requirements.
DUTIES:Back to top
As a Supervisory Information Technology Specialist you will:
- supervise a division of information technology specialists and procurement analysts;
- supervise the development of broad policy guidance for organizing, planning, developing and formulating procurement and financial assistance data systems and procedures;
- serve as a member of focal point on Federal Government teams involving the development of new procurement and financial assistance systems and methodologies;
- establish or revise the collection and dissemination of information regarding the procurement processes, management information and work process automation systems; and,
- supervise risk assessment and management strategies identifying vulnerabilities, risks and protection needs.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
A qualified candidate's online application and resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level (GS-14) in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position is defined as:
- Performing and managing or directing work in the suite of Procurement Information Technology systems and processes;
- Developing/drafting, approving and implementing Procurement Information Technology policies and procedures;
- Supervising the preparation, review and coordination of procurement information systems, and special reports on Information Technology management actions;
- Implementing risk assessment and management strategies of IM/IT systems and providing security training on security issues throughout the suite of acquisition systems.
Your application and resume should demonstrate that you possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs). Do not provide a separate narrative written statement. Rather, you must describe in your application how your past work experience demonstrates that you possess the KSAs identified below. Cite specific examples of employment or experience contained in your resume and describe how this experience has prepared you to successfully perform the duties of this position. DO NOT write "see resume" in your application!
- Ability to develop new policy and procedures.
- Knowledge of advanced upfront planning and analysis for IT system actions.
- Ability to develop policies and proposals to effectively resolve unprecedented situations.
- Ability to research, draft and apply IT system management policies, laws, rules, and regulations.
- Ability to supervise a staff of information technology specialists and procurement analysts.
Candidates must have IT-related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below.
- Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
- Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
- Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
- Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
You must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
You must provide documentation supporting your education claims. Education must be obtained from an accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Foreign education must be reviewed by an organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For special instructions pertaining to foreign education and a list of organizations that can evaluate foreign education, see the Department of Education website.
- Requirement for applicants selected for supervisory positions: New supervisors are required to complete 80 hours of supervisory training of which 40 hours must be completed during your first year as a supervisor.
- Two to three days travel per month may be required.
- You will be required to file the OGE Form 450 (Financial Disclosure Statement).
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application will be rated by our application system using the Category Rating procedure. A quality review will then be conducted by the HR Office and/or Subject Matter Expert (SME). Your application is rated based on the extent and quality of your experience, education (if applicable to the job), and training described in your online resume/questionnaire as related to the duties of this position. The quality categories are usually defined as "Best Qualified", "Well Qualified" and "Qualified". Veterans Preference eligibles will be listed at the top of whichever category your score places you in. CP/CPS veterans are placed at the top of the highest category for all positions except professional and scientific positions at GS-9 and higher.
If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses you provided in your online questionnaire, or if you fail to submit required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted. To preview questions please click here.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
To be considered for this position, you must submit a complete application no later than 11:59pm (Eastern Time) on the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to submit a complete application prior to the closing time (regardless of when you started) the application system will not allow you to finish. Requests for extensions will not be granted, so please begin the application process allowing yourself enough time to finish before the deadline. Our application system displays a countdown timer in the top-left corner of the screen for your reference.
Steps to submit a complete application:
- You must have a USAJOBS account and be logged in.
- You must have a completed resume. (Please note that some DOE offices do not accept uploaded resumes and require that you have a completed resume within your USAJOBS profile using the Resume Builder).
- Once you are logged in and all of your application materials ready, click the 'Apply Now' button.
- You must respond to all applicant assessment questions, carefully following all instructions provided.
- You will then be asked to upload additional supporting documentation, which may include (but is not limited to) transcripts, portfolio samples, certifications, and verification of veteran status.
- IMPORTANT: In the final step of the application process you will be shown a copy of your resume and all the information you entered during the application process. You must click the 'Finish' button at the bottom of this final page and receive confirmation that your application has been received. If you do not click 'Finish', your application will not be received.
If your resume does not support the responses in your application questionnaire, or if you fail to submit required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted accordingly.
- If you experience any difficulties with the application process (anything after you have clicked the Apply Now button), please contact the HR Specialist listed on this announcement between normal business hours.
- If you are having trouble with USAJOBS (searching for jobs, account profile issues, or Resume Builder help, please visit the USAJOBS Resource Center or e-mail USAJOBS3.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are experiencing a significant hardship which hinders your ability to apply online please contact the HR Specialist listed on this announcement during normal business hours.
Please carefully review the following list to determine what documentation you need to submit. Some documents may not apply to all applicants.
If you are unsure, click the link for each document type to read more.
- ALL APPLICANTS: Resume supporting your specialized experience and responses to the online questionnaire.
- Applicants using education to qualify (if allowed): Documentation verifying your educational claims which can include unofficial transcripts or any report listing institution, course title, credits earned and grade. Education cannot be substituted for experience in some positions at higher grade levels. Please see the Education section for more information.
- Veterans: veteran eligibility documentation (DD-214, VA Letter, Standard Form (SF) 15 as applicable). Please note: If you are a veteran who has not yet been discharged, you may provide a statement of intent to discharge from your agency to receive Veterans Preference under the VOW (Veterans Opportunity to Work) to Hire Heroes Act of 2011.
- Persons with Disabilities: Individuals with intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities may apply for appointment through the Schedule A hiring authority. Certified verification of a disability from a licensed medical professional; a licensed vocational rehabilitation specialist; or any Federal, state, or District of Columbia agency or U.S. territory that issues or provides disability benefits will be required.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
After each step in the recruitment process, your status will be updated in USAJOBS. You can review your status in USAJOBS at any time. You may also elect to receive status updates via e-mail by changing the notification settings in your USAJOBS profile. Please check that your USAJOBS profile contact information is current and correct each time you apply to a job--this will ensure we are able to contact you as quickly as possible.