The NIH is the premier biomedical research center for the world. Its 27 Institutes and Centers employ approximately 18,000 employees doing a vast array of jobs, all supporting efforts for a healthy nation. For information on the NIH mission, goals, and Institutes and Centers, visitNIH Overview.
This position is located in the National Institutes of Health (NIH), National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), Office of the Director (OD), Office of Science Management and Operations (OSMO), Office of Administrative Services (OAS), Extramural Administrative Management Branch (EAMB), in Bethesda, Maryland
The EAMB advise the Directors of the Institute's four extramural divisions and their staff of administrative policies and practices; provide overall administrative support services to the extramural divisions, including budget, personnel, procurement, space management, travel and property accountability; analyze effects of changes in administrative policies and practices by organizational echelons about the NIAID and advise the OAS Director of these effects; and serve as the coordinating point in handling administrative or management problems that cross division lines and which cannot be resolved at that level. If selected for this position you will perform the follow duties:
- Share in exercising a broad range of supervisory responsibilities over a subordinate staff responsible for providing a wide variety of administrative management services to include transmitting guidance to program managers on policies and procedures covering many of these services.
- Share fully with the EAMB Chief in planning, directing and implementing the work of the EAMB through the leadership and supervision of approximately 100 administrative staff members, to include sharing in providing direct supervision to four supervisory Administrative Officers at the GS-13/14 levels and sharing in serving as the second level supervisor to approximately 30 administrative staff ranging in grade from GS-6 through GS-13.
- Serve as full Deputy to the EAMB Chief, empowered to represent the Chief and make decisions in the absence of the Chief. Share in providing expert advice to the OAS Director and the NIAID DDSM, with primary responsibility for overseeing the day-to-day administrative management and business operations responsibilities for all of the Institute's extramural Divisions.
- Share with the EAMB Chief in planning, directing and evaluating the administrative management aspects of the Institute's exramural research operational planning, program development and administrative services delivery.
- Share in overseeing the provision of advice and guidance to Division Directors and Office/Branch Chiefs on a variety of human resource management issues, to include advice on staffing needs and the most advantageous means of recruiting and appointing staff and maximizing staff resources.
- Participate in discussions and negotiations regarding a range of employee relations issues, providing expert counsel to managers and supervisors as the the most appropriate course of action.
- Prepare and/or oversee the preparation of responses to NIH, HHS or Congressional requests for budgetary data or other data calls pertaining to program operation.
- Research and investigate new or improved business and management practices for application to Division level extramural programs or operations. Evaluate implementation of management control policies and practices to assure conformity with policy guidance and effective program operations.