Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 930303
Our Mission: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans". How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries.
The Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center is a 673-bed tertiary healthcare facility which provides care to over 100,000 veterans in northern Ohio. We provide care through our main medical facility at the Wade Park campus, 13 community based outpatient clinics, and 3 vet centers. The medical center has been recognized for more programs of excellence than any other Veterans Affairs Medical Center. These programs of excellence include: Open Heart Surgery, Care of the Seriously Mentally Ill, Geriatric Evaluation and Management, Substance Abuse Care, Spinal Cord Injury Care, Medical Care of the Homeless, Domiciliary Care of the Homeless, Functional Electrical Stimulation, Advance Platform Technology, Primary Care Education, and Patient-Centered Specialty Care Education. We are a teaching hospital providing a full range of patient care services to Veterans with state-of-the art technology as well as medical education and research. Our main campus in Cleveland, Ohio has a full service ER for both general acute care and psychiatric care and a comprehensive reference clinical laboratory. With us, you will find a challenging, yet rewarding career experience.
NOTE: A Professional Standard Board (a peer-review group) will review the selected candidates education and experience and recommend the step at which the candidate will be placed in that specific grade. The salary is based on the grade and step approved for the selected candidate.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply.
The Louis Stokes Cleveland Veterans Affairs Medical Center is recruiting for a Medical Technologist. The Medical Technologist will function in the Hematology/Blood Bank section of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Service with the possibility of working in other sections per the needs of service. The tour of duty is Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., and may include rotating weekends and holidays. The Medical Technologist duties include:
- Performing complex laboratory testing.
- Evaluating the suitability of the specimen for analysis, requesting new specimen if determined to be unusable.
- Preparing specimens for analysis, insuring that the physiologic state of the specimen properties is maintained.
- Selecting, performing, evaluating and monitoring the performance of test procedures using manual and/or instrumental techniques in accordance with established protocols.
- Recognizing and reacting to indicators of malfunction; locate and implement corrections.
- Conducting quality control procedures on equipment, reagents, and products and maintains proper records for quality control reports.
- Calibrating, standardizing, adjusting and maintaining instruments.
- Verifying correct instrument operation using established procedures and quality control checks and monitoring.
- Identifying the cause of common problems and makes simple repairs.
- Evaluating the validity of data in relation to the test system and accepted assay procedures.
- Correlating quantitative data with patient data (i.e., history, medications) to verify results.
- Performing additional tests to clarify or confirm abnormal patient results.
- Recognizing abnormal results that require immediate attention by the physician and reports them directly.
- Generating laboratory results from the work area into the laboratory computer system.
- Editing and verifying the results recorded into the computer system.
Relocation Expenses: Relocation expenses are not authorized for this position.