Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 929469 (Include # on all documents)
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
This position will remain open until filled. Applications/CVs will be forwarded for consideration, as received.
As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries.
Basking in sunshine 300 days a year in the aptly named Valley of the Sun, the Phoenix VA Health Care System is located near downtown Phoenix, Arizona. Although renowned for its warm, dry climate, Arizona's capitol offers much more than great weather. The Phoenix metro area, now America's 5th largest city, offers affordable housing and a relaxed, informal southwestern lifestyle. Diversity abounds. Greater Phoenix has an abundance of golf courses, parks, public swimming pools and bike paths. For the sports fans Phoenix is home to the NBA's Phoenix Suns, NFL's Arizona Cardinals; Major League Baseball's Arizona Diamondbacks and the NHL's Phoenix Coyotes. Across the state, more than 11 million acres of national forest lands provide a varied playground for those who enjoy skiing, horseback riding, hunting, fishing, boating, hiking or camping for the more adventurous, there's white water rafting on the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon! For city dwellers, the valley boasts exceptional shopping and retail establishments, restaurants and night life. The valley is also rapidly gaining prominence as a Mecca for the arts. Phoenix possesses world class museums, a ballet, symphony orchestra and several theater companies. For more information on the City of Phoenix, visit the Chamber of Commerce site at http://www.phoenixchamber.com/
More information about the Phoenix VA Health Care System team may be found here: http://www.phoenix.med.va.gov/
ITEMS TO NOTE:
- Applicant's education and length of practice (experience) will be considered by a Professional Standards Board and Compensation Panel in determining the salary of the applicant selected.
- Recruitment/Relocation incentive may be authorized.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Applicant selected for this position may be eligible to apply for an award up to the maximum limitations under the provisions of the Education Debt Reduction Program. The selectee must meet all eligibility requirements of the program.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority
This position is a Staff Physician and will serve as the Medical Director of Home Based Primary Care (HBPC). The incumbent will be board certified or board eligible in family medicine or internal medicine with added qualifications in geriatrics preferred. They will be in the Geriatric, Extended Care Service Line with primary responsibility for medical care of all patients in the HBPC program. The HBPC Medical Director is responsible for the overall medical care delivered by the HBPC Program. The Medical Director works in collaboration with the Program Director on all aspects of HBPC. The HBPC Medical Director:
- Provides medical leadership to the HBPC Program.
- Plans and directs the educational and clinical experience of medical students, residents, and fellows assigned to the HBPC program.
- Assumes a leadership role in the development and implementation of HBPCs performance improvement plan.
- Advocates for HBPC with VHA leadership and the medical community.
- Jointly selects HBPC team members.
- Provides clinical input and oversight for all patient treatment plans.
- Is available to the team members for collaboration when medical or other problems arise.
- Participates in HBPC team meetings.
- Keeps the HBPC team appraised of medical care advances and practice standards.
- Arranges physician coverage and communicates the plan of coverage to the HBPC team.
- Serves as back-up for other HBPC staff physicians.
- Collaborates with other HBPC Medical Directors, VISN leadership, and VA Central Office staff on program development issues.
- Assumes primary medical responsibility for assigned patients.
- Identifies the patients medical problems.
- Determines the need for consultation from medical, surgical, and/or psychiatric subspecialty clinics.
- Determines the need for, and facilitates admission to the hospital.
- Makes home visits as primary provider on assigned patients and makes home visits on patients assigned to Nurse Practitioners after collaborations with Nurse practitioner or other team members.
- Serves as collaborator and supervisor for advanced practice nurses.
- Provides medical administrative support such as signing forms requiring physician signature for HBPC patients.
- May be supervisor for other disciplines in the HBPC program.
Relocation expenses (PCS) are not authorized for this position.