Job Title: Information Technology SpecialistJob Announcement Number: OIG-929102-13-29-SB
Department: Department Of The Interior
Agency: Office of the Inspector General
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Monday, July 22, 2013 to
Wednesday, July 31, 2013
SERIES & GRADE:
Full Time -
1 vacancy in the following location:
Reston, VA United StatesView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
Current U.S. Department of the Interior employees on Career/Career Conditional appointments in the competitive service.
The Department of Interior, Office of Inspector General (OIG) is an independent office within the Department of Interior (DOI) whose mission is to promote excellence, integrity, and accountability throughout DOI. The OIG conducts investigations, evaluations, and audits in order to enhance effectiveness and efficiency and to prevent and detect waste, fraud, and mismanagement in DOI programs and operations.
This position is located in the Office of Information Technology Division (ITD). The ITD is responsible for providing Information Technology (IT) support to the Office of the Inspector General (OIG) primarily in the areas of systems administration, telecommunications, application development, and network management services.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for the Selective Service
- Successful completion of a background investigation
- Subject to initial and random drug testing
- Relocation expenses ARE NOT authorized
DUTIES:Back to top
Incumbent serves as customer support specialist who is responsible for the delivery of a wide variety of customer support services, including installation, configuration, troubleshooting, customer assistance, and/or training, in response to customer requirements. Incumbent maintains liaison with individuals in assigned and related fields, regional offices, and facilities to discuss mutual IT technologies and processing problems and production efforts, for maintaining and administering System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM), System Center Operations Manager (SCOM), and Windows server update services (WSUS).
Incumbent assists the LAN Manager with backup and recovery processes on all servers in the OIG office location; monitors servers in selected locations and troubleshoots problems as required. Incumbent installs, configures, and maintains customer hardware, software and operating system. Performs hardware/software maintenance and tuning to maintain optimum system performance and hardware utilization.
Incumbent diagnoses and resolves problems in response to customer reported incidents; researching, evaluating, and providing feedback on problematic trends and patterns in customer support requirements.Incumbent participates in the development of IT customer training criteria, provides customer training and in addition develops documentation. Incumbent ensures rigorous application of information security/information assurance policies, principles, and practices in the delivery of customer support services. Notifies Director, Information Technology Division on any IT issues, problems, and concerns.Incumbent demonstrates support for and serves as an example of Customer Service Excellence by establishing, promoting and maintaining effective communications with customer.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
In order to be qualified for the GS-12 level in the Federal Government, applicants must have at least one year of specialized experience, equivalent to the GS-11, which included installing, configuring, troubleshooting and maintaining customer hardware, software and operating systems; performing hardware and software maintenance and tuning to maintain optimum system performance, conducting testing of various sites and document testing issues; applying network systems management methods including systems performance monitoring; network architecture and topology, including transmissions protocols, broadcasting, switching, control and management; communicating with senior-level executives, managers, coworkers, and customers to resolve technical and organizational issues; and ensuring rigorous application of information security/information assurance policies, principles, and practices in the delivery of customer support services.
Click on the link below to view the qualification standards for the occupation: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/2200/information-technology-it-management-series-2210-alternative-a/
Time-In-Grade Requirement: Federal applicants must have served 52 weeks at the GS-11 grade level to satisfy time-in-grade restrictions contained in 5CFR 300, Subpart F.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
You application will be evaluated on the quality and extent of your experience (paid and unpaid), education, awards, and training and self-development as it relates to the position. If you are a current or former Federal employee, you must indicate the GS or pay band level for each position that you held. If your resume includes non-government service, including contractors, please include the salaries for each position held. All work experience should specify the length of time spent in the position and tour of duty (full or part time to include number of hours). One year of general or specialized experience is equivalent to 12 months at 40 hours per week. Part-time hours are pro-rated. Your responses to the questionnaire and/or competency statements will be evaluated to determine the degree to which your skills match this position. Your responses to the self-assessment questionnaire will be validated against your resume to determine if you meet the qualification requirements for this position.
Candidates are required to possess certain Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs) to successfully perform the functions of this position. Candidates will be asked to demonstrate their attainment of these KSAs in an online job questionnaire. The KSAs are:
- Knowledge of, and skill in applying, customer support concepts and methods; installed operating systems; network systems; applications; protocols, equipment; the IT infrastructure, sufficient to serve as a senior customer technical analyst.
- Knowledge of, and skill in applying, network design principles and concepts, configuration management concepts and practices, network technology concepts and LAN and wide area network (WAN) development principles and methods.
- Knowledge of, and skill in applying, computer equipment evaluation and troubleshooting techniques.
- Knowledge of, and skill in applying, organizational policies, IT standards and technical knowledge.
- Skill in oral communication.
- Skill in writing briefing materials, and other documents.
NOTE: If a determination is made that qualifications and/or experience have been inflated, your score will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities.
BENEFITS:Back to top
The Department of the Interior offers a comprehensive benefits package that may include, in part, paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, life insurance; health benefits, and participation in the Federal Employees Retirement system. This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered to Federal employees. http://www.opm.gov/Insure/health/enrollment/new_employees.asp
- Selected applicants must undergo and successfully obtain and maintain a background investigation for a secret clearance. Failure to maintain a clearance is grounds for removal.
- You must meet initial and periodic suitability determinations based on favorable background investigations and updates. Failure to maintain a favorable suitability determination is grounds for removal.
- Selected applicants are subject to initial and random drug testing. Failure to pass a Drug Test is grounds for removal.
- Periodic travel per month is expected.
- Selectees must complete a one year probationary or trial period unless already completed or exempted by special authority.
CTAP: Individuals who have special priority selection rights under the Agency Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) must be rated at 85 or above on the rating criteria for the position to receive consideration for special priority selection.DOI employees seeking CTAP eligibility must submit proof that they meet the requirements of 5 CFR 330.605 (a) for CTAP. This includes a copy of the agency notice, a copy of their most recent Performance Rating and a copy of their most recent SF-50 noting current position, grade level, and duty location. Please annotate your application to reflect that you are applying as a CTAP eligible.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
To apply for this position, you must complete the occupational questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Wednesday, July 31, 2013 to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
- Click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application package.
- It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
- To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account,https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login,select the Application Status link and then select the more informationlink for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.
If you completed the occupational questionnaire online and are unable to upload supporting document(s): To fax your documents, you must use the following cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdfand provide the required information. The Vacancy ID is 929102 Fax your documents to 1-478-757-3144.
If you cannot complete the Application Package online, you may fax all of your materials. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on to receive consideration. Keep a copy of your fax confirmation in the event verification is needed.
To complete the occupational questionnaire and submit via fax:
- Click the following link to view and print the occupational questionnaire View Assessment Questions .
- Print the 1203FX form, follow the instructions and provide your responses to the occupational questionnaire items http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdfimage/opm1203fx.pdf.
- Fax all six pages of the completed 1203FX form along with any supporting documents to 1-478-757-3144. Your 1203FX will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.
- Resume your resume must contain information sufficient to make a valid determination that you fully meet the basic/specialized experience requirements as stated in this vacancy announcement and OPM qualification standards for each grade level(s) for which you are applying.
- SF-50 Notification of Personnel Action- documenting proof of competitive status, tenure, position, grade level and step.
- Performance Appraisal: All current Federal employees and reinstatement eligible applicants must submit a copy of the most recent completed annual performance appraisal, dated within the last year and includes the final rating.
- CTAP such as a RIF separation notice, certificate of expected separation, SF-50 Notification of Personnel Action stating you were separated by RIF, OR a letter from your agency documenting your priority consideration status.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
Once the online questionnaire is received, you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. After the closing date of the announcement, we will review your resume to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. You will be notified of your rating and/or referral of your resume to the hiring official. If further evaluation or interviews are required, you will be contacted. You will be informed of the outcome via e-mail. We expect to make a selection within 45 to 60 days of the closing date of the vacancy announcement.