Want to diversify your professional experiences? Intrigued by other positions within NSF? Looking for a new way to contribute to NSF's mission? This may be the opportunity for you!
As an NSF employee, you are our most important strength. That's why we've consistently been recognized as one of the best places to work in the federal government! Leverage your current skills in a new capacity to build bridges across NSF and contribute to cross-cutting projects, while at the same time expanding your own career horizons by increasing your responsibilities and pursuing fresh perspectives. Take charge of your career and apply today!
The Directorate for Computer and Information Sciences and Engineering (CISE) is responsible for managing a portfolio of grants and proposal competitions within a broad area of research and education. Investigator initiated research is supported in all areas of computer and information science and engineering. This research is critical to the development of national cutting-edge computing and information infrastructure and d design of research education initiatives for the next generation of computer scientists and engineers. Research objectives are achieved through efforts pursued in four CISE divisions: Division of Advanced Cyberinfrastructure; Division of Computing and Communication Foundations; Division of Computer and Network Systems; and Division of Information & Intelligence Systems.
The Directorate Operations Officer is responsible for directorate-wide strategic planning and policy, strategic human capital management, financial management and resource allocation, and assessment and oversight of administrative processes; communication and coordination of activities within the CISE OAD; and supervision of most OAD administrative support staff. Specific duties include the following:
Strategic Planning and Policy
- Participates in discussions on strategic priorities;
- Identifies strategies, goals, and desired results;
- Develops executive-level strategic plans;
- Develops communication plans to inform CISE staff of changes in priorities, strategies, business processes, rules and regulations affecting work life or performance;
- Receives or solicits input and compiles data from key stakeholders;
- Establishes policies for the Directorate;
- Advises Divisions on Directorate policies and procedures;
- Monitors and oversees staff compliance with policies;
- Represents CISE in NSF-wide and government-wide working groups.
Strategic Human Capital Planning
- Develops the CISE portion of the NSF human capital plan and annual report on human capital management;
- Ensures the human capital assessment and accountability plan addresses strategic alignment, leadership and knowledge management, a results-oriented performance culture, and management accountability;
- Serves as the primary advisor to senior Directorate officials on human capital issues;
- Ensures merit system principles are infused in the CISE human capital plan for recruitment planning and employment selection;
- Provides human resources related advice and consultation to staff and management officials;
- Coordinates, creates, and disseminates HR/HC business practices and SOPs across the Directorate.
Financial Management and Resource Allocation
- Oversees the Directorate’s financial operations;
- Participates in the Research and Related Activities (RR&A) budget formulation process;
- Allocates RR&A funds to the Divisions and oversees and tracks spending of funds;
- Coordinates execution activities or initiatives to resolve resource allocation issues;
- Executes the Agency Operations and Award Management funds budget activities for CISE accounts.
Assessment and Oversight
- Coordinates and oversees the development of materials for presentation of new programs and major awards to the Director’s Review Board (DRB) and National Science Board (NSB);
- Develops CISE review process for DRB and NSB materials;
- Analyzes external reports to identify and assess issue of importance to NSF and CISE;
- Analyzes Directorate workflow and procedures and recommends changes to ensure efficient and effective operations;
- Advises CISE management team on CISE activities in response to Congressional and Administration priorities;
- Creates policies and procedures for the Directorate;
- Develops new processes and procedures for managing virtual panels and other new business process tools;
Office Communication and Coordination
- Serves as primary point of contact for communication and coordination across CISE Divisions;
- Manages and coordinates the activities of the CISE OAD and its outreach to the Divisions;
- Ensures there are documented processes for all reviews and approvals required by the CISE OAD;
- Ensures that administrative, operations, and program support work meet the needs, goals, and objectives of the Directorate’s programs.
Supervises CISE OAD administrative and technical support staff.