One year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to that of the next lower grade (GS-07) within the federal service, which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position, is required.
Specialized Experience is defined as performing financial systems analysis in support of finance mission and applying knowledge of financial management principles as they relate to automated financial systems processing and operations.
Examples of qualifying specialized experience: providing technical advice regarding financial system operating problems; reviewing and analyzing reports and systems output; assist in testing and evaluating financial systems to ensure they meet design and operating goals; providing financial systems knowledge to more senior specialists to help them carry out the finance mission.
SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION FOR SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: A Master's or equivalent graduate degree or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.B. or J.D. may be substituted to meet the specialized experience requirement. Equivalent combinations of successfully completed graduate level education and experience may be used to meet total experience requirements. If you are using education to substitute for specialized experience, you must submit transcripts (official or unofficial) or some form of proof of your education. To be creditable, education must have been obtained in an accredited college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Failure to provide documentation at the time of processing, or a determination that you do not possess sufficient education and experience to meet the total qualification requirements, will result in an ineligible rating.
Background or Security Investigation: This is a non-critical sensitive position. Employment in this position requires a background investigation which may delay your starting date. If you are selected and cannot obtain a favorable security determination within a reasonable period of time due to disclosed or undisclosed background issues, the employment offer may be withdrawn. Individuals selected for this position are required to obtain and maintain a favorable security determination to occupy a sensitive position within the agency as a condition of employment. Failure to maintain eligibility to occupy a sensitive position may result in termination. For more information see the security section of Understanding Vacancy Announcements.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application will be evaluated and rated under the Category Rating and Selection Procedures. All information included in the resume and Occupational Questionnaire is subject to review and verification. HR will review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the minimum qualification requirements. Applicants meeting the minimum requirements will be further evaluated based upon information you provided in the Occupational Questionnaire. If a determination is made that the work experience described in your submitted resume does not support your responses to the self-assessment questionnaire, your score may be reduced, and you may lose consideration for this position. If you are already a DFAS employee, you may be subject to disciplinary action up to and including removal from Federal service.
Eligible candidates will then be placed for selection consideration into 3 categories as described below:
- Qualified Category. Meets the minimum qualifications and demonstrates minimum experience and/or training only based on responses to occupational questionnaire.
- Highly Qualified Category. Meets the minimum qualification requirements and demonstrates full-performance level experience based on responses to occupational questionnaire.
- Best Qualified Category. Meets the minimum qualification requirements and demonstrates experience as an expert in the field or recognized as a senior specialist, team lead, etc.
Application of Veterans Preference: The Category Rating Method does not add veterans' preference points or apply the "rule of three," but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligible's who meet minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-9 grade level or higher. A selecting official may make selections from the highest quality category (Best Qualified) provided no preference eligible in that category is passed over to select a non-preference eligible in that category unless the requirements of 5 U.S.C. 3317(b) or 3318(b) are satisfied.
The Assessment Questionnaire takes approximately 15 minutes to complete and collects information on your education, training and experience related to the following critical competencies:
· Financial Concepts, Policies and Principles - Apply fiscal law, policies, regulations, principles, standards and procedures to financial management activities.
· Financial Management Systems - Utilize integrated federal financial management systems and subsystems to extract data, identify and resolve system problems, and maintain data integrity.
· Financial Management Analysis - Analyze, evaluate and review budget and program issues and financial data and reports using business tools and applications, cost and economic analysis, and performance metrics to provide recommendations.
· Problem Solving- Identifies and analyzes problems; weighs relevance and accuracy of information; seeks/generates and evaluates alternative perspectives/solutions; makes timely/effective recommendations, based on potential implications of findings or conclusions. Critically evaluates to identify the causes of problems, and chooses courses of action that balance the interests of the mission and stakeholders.
· Communication- Communicates effectively both orally and in writing.
DFAS recognizes the value of competencies gained through formal education and professional certifications. To ensure that consistent credit is given for these credentials in the selection process DFAS has developed standard selection criteria to be used when filling positions in professional and administrative series. Selections for professional and administrative positions will be based on four categories of selection criteria: Experience, Other, Education, and Certifications.
IMPORTANT NOTE - YOU MUST FOLLOW ALL APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY. ERRORS OR OMISSIONS MAY AFFECT YOUR RATING.
All information included in the resume and Occupational Questionnaire is subject to review and verification. HR will review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the minimum qualification requirements. Applicants meeting the minimum requirements will be further evaluated by information provided in the Occupational Questionnaire. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have misrepresented your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position and, if you're already an employee, you may be subject to disciplinary action up to and including removal from Federal service.