Job Title:Communications Manager
Department:Department Of Energy
Agency:Department of Energy
Job Announcement Number:DOE-HQ-EI-13-00502-MP
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Friday, July 19, 2013 to
Friday, August 09, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time -
|1 vacancy in the following location:|
Washington DC Metro Area, DC, US
WHO MAY APPLY:
|Current and former federal employees in competitive service and people eligible under special hiring authorities within Wash, D.C. or commuting area of the program office. Any eligible candidate applying under the (VEOA), regardless of the applicant's location, is eligible to compete provided they are honorably separated and are a preference eligible or have substantially completed 3 or more years of active duty in a uniformed service. |
The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) collects, analyzes, and disseminates independent and impartial energy information to promote sound policymaking, efficient markets, and public understanding of energy and its interaction with the economy and the environment.
This position is located in the Office of Communications and Outreach. This office provides leadership and direction in creating and managing comprehensive and integrated communications, outreach, and customer relations strategies that advance EIA's mission and goal to provide policy-neutral data, forecasts, and analyses to internal and external groups.
A successful candidate in this position...
Directs the day-to-day operations of the Agency's Content Operations Team and in this regard is integral to the success of the content of the Agency's public website (EIA.gov) and employee intranet. He/she is responsible for planning, leading, coordinating, and implementing major internal and external communications initiatives and campaigns; and for creating and implementing policies and procedures for outreach material development and management.
- You must be a United States Citizen.
- This employer participates in the e-Verify program.
- Relocation is at your own expense.
- See "Other Information" section regarding Selective Service requirements.
DUTIES:Back to top
As a Communications Manager, you will:
- Develop EIA communication policies, standards, procedures and practices, and review and ensure that products and procurements adhere to these standards, policies, procedures and practices. Develop and execute strategic communications plans and materials that effectively promote and increase access to EIA products and services and adheres to EIA communications directives and guidance.
- Plan and implement an EIA-wide corporate identity program that effectively communicates EIA's mission and goals and ensures that EIA branding is consistently and properly applied.
- Supervise, oversee and assess the quality and adequacy of written and graphic content, some of which is of a complex or technical nature, to ensure that it is current, timely, accurate and complete, and consistent with Agency content standards.
- Plan, schedule and assign work; identify milestones and deadlines to be met, assess the accuracy and integrity of finished products, and appraise performances. Plan, design, conduct, and evaluate a continuing comprehensive communications program for EIA.
- Develop, implement and manage external/outreach activities, strategies and programs for EIA. In this capacity, develops and executes strategic external communications plans and materials that effectively market and promote EIA products and services.
- Research, write, and edit material, including handouts, brochures, briefings, reports, announcements, web postings, training materials, and presentations.
- Conduct data gathering projects to assess user characteristics, requirements, needs, goals, and opportunities related to EIA products.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
A qualified candidate's online application and resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position is defined as:
- Leading the development of web content, articles, news releases, and talking points to diverse audiences about energy issues, research, analysis, or data;
- Conducting outreach efforts to energy-related agencies, organizations, and policy-makers;
- Producing high-quality written communications products of a scientific and/or technical nature;
- Applying the principles, methods, practices, and techniques for creating state-of-the-art web products that visually enhance, support, and explain scientific and/or technical information to audiences that include the general public.
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS REQUIREMENTS
Your application and resume should demonstrate that you possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs). Do not provide a separate narrative written statement. Rather, you must describe in your application how your past work experience demonstrates that you possess the KSAs identified below. Cite specific examples of employment or experience contained in your resume and describe how this experience has prepared you to successfully perform the duties of this position. DO NOT write "see resume" in your application!
- Mastery of the principles, methods, practices, and techniques of external and internal communications and outreach efforts.
- Expert knowledge of Agency policies, programs objectives, and sensitive issues, expert knowledge of programs and objectives of the Agency pertaining to the presentation and publication of materials.
- Ability to generate and implement new communication approaches and methods in order to enhance public understanding of complex statistical information and enhance an Agency's communications with its employees.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing expert knowledge of editing, writing, publishing, and preparing materials suitable for electronic media to advise DOE Managers, Agency authors and their supervisors on how best to develop and present material that is highly effective, useable, and useful.
- Ability to lead and supervise others in accomplishing projects and other work assignments.
- Time-in-Grade: Current Federal employees must meet time-in-grade requirements for consideration.
- CTAP/ICTAP candidates: To be considered "well qualified" you must meet all of the requirements as described in this section.
You must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
THIS POSITION IS NOT IN THE BARGAINING UNIT.
Relocation expenses will not be paid.
Occasional Travel may be required.
All education requirements must be verified by transcripts.
Submit online applications and supplemental documents by the closing date.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
We will review your application to ensure you meet the job requirements.
If you meet the qualifications requirements and are found to be among the top candidates, your application will be referred to the selecting official for further review.
If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses in your online questionnaire, or if you fail to submit required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted. To preview questions please click here.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
To be considered for this position, you must submit a complete application no later than 11:59pm (Eastern Time) on the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to submit a complete application prior to the closing time (regardless of when you started) the application system will not allow you to finish. Requests for extensions will not be granted, so please begin the application process allowing yourself enough time to finish before the deadline. Our application system displays a countdown timer in the top-left corner of the screen for your reference.
Steps to submit a complete application:
- You must have a USAJOBS account and be logged in.
- You must have a completed resume. (Please note that some DOE offices do not accept uploaded resumes and require that you have a completed resume within your USAJOBS profile using the Resume Builder).
- Once you are logged in and all of your application materials ready, click the 'Apply Now' button.
- You must respond to all applicant assessment questions, carefully following all instructions provided.
- You will then be asked to upload additional supporting documentation, which may include (but is not limited to) transcripts, portfolio samples, certifications, and verification of veteran status.
- IMPORTANT: In the final step of the application process you will be shown a copy of your resume and all the information you entered during the application process. You must click the 'Finish' button at the bottom of this final page and receive confirmation that your application has been received. If you do not click 'Finish', your application will not be received.
If your resume does not support the responses in your application questionnaire, or if you fail to submit required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted accordingly.
This vacancy is being concurrently advertised under DE/Category Rating procedure as announcement #DOE-HQ-EI-13-00502-CR. You must apply to the vacancy for which you wish to receive consideration. If you wish to be considered for this position under both DE and MP procedures, you must apply to both announcements.
- If you experience any difficulties with the application process (anything after you have clicked the Apply Now button), please contact the HR Specialist listed on this announcement between normal business hours.
- If you are having trouble with USAJOBS (searching for jobs, account profile issues, or Resume Builder help, please visit the USAJOBS Resource Center or e-mail USAJOBS3.email@example.com.
- If you are experiencing a significant hardship which hinders your ability to apply online please contact the HR Specialist listed on this announcement during normal business hours.
Please carefully review the following list to determine what documentation you need to submit. Some documents may not apply to all applicants.
If you are unsure, click the link for each document type to read more.
- ALL APPLICANTS: Resume supporting your specialized experience and responses to the online questionnaire.
- Applicants using education to qualify (if applicable): Documentation verifying your educational claims which can include unofficial transcripts or any report listing institution, course title, credits earned and grade. Education may not be applicable for some jobs at higher grade levels. Please see the Education section for more information.
- Current/former Federal employees: Most recent Standard Form (SF) 50. To properly verify status eligibility, your SF-50 must show: position title and type, occupational series, grade, and tenure. This is a blank sample SF-50 and should not be submitted with your application!
- Displaced Federal employees: ICTAP/CTAP documentation.
- Veterans: veteran eligibility documentation (DD-214, VA Letter, Standard Form (SF) 15 as applicable). Please note: If you are a veteran who has not yet been discharged, you may provide a statement of intent to discharge from your agency to receive Veterans Preference under the VOW (Veterans Opportunity to Work) to Hire Heroes Act of 2011.
- Persons with Disabilities: Individuals with intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities may apply for appointment through the Schedule A hiring authority. Certified verification of a disability from a licensed medical professional; a licensed vocational rehabilitation specialist; or any Federal, state, or District of Columbia agency or U.S. territory that issues or provides disability benefits will be required.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
After each step in the recruitment process, your status will be updated in USAJOBS. You can review your status in USAJOBS at any time. You may also elect to receive status updates via e-mail by changing the notification settings in your USAJOBS profile. Please check that your USAJOBS profile contact information is current and correct each time you apply to a job--this will ensure we are able to contact you as quickly as possible.