In this position, you will be responsible for providing direction and control to assigned personnel; providing oversight of projects assigned to teams; reviewing completed work for compliance with FEMA policies; and resolving work assignment conflicts with or among subordinate Team Leaders. Typical work assignments include:
· Manages priorities assigned to teams providing technical advice and guidance.
· Provides technical support and crisis management at the Headquarter level during REP exercises, nuclear plant shutdowns and re-starts, or in the event of a nuclear plant accident.
· Monitors work in progress and oversees the implementation of the programs and activities to support and evaluate offsite emergency planning and preparedness activities of State and local governments for dealing with radiological emergencies at commercial nuclear power plants and other nuclear facilities.
· Reviews, analyzes, and processes regional office evaluations of the site-specific plans of State and local governments and utilities with respect to determining the adequacy of the plans and their implement ability for responding to radiological emergencies.
· Identifies actual and potential problem areas and recommends improvements or corrective actions.
· Maintains oversight of radiological emergency preparedness activities to ensure timely accurate and pertinent reports to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission; ensuring correct interpretation and implementation of FEMA goals, policies, regulations and effective maintenance and use of REP data.
· Develops new policy and procedures to improve the readiness capability of Federal, State and local governments to deal with radiological emergency accidents.
· Maintains oversight of activities related to the review and evaluation of alert and notification systems installed around commercial nuclear power plants.
· Provides training and implementation assistance in the use of computerized systems, i.e. the REP Exercise Evaluation Tool.
· Attends meetings, conferences and other forum and confers with officials from the Regional offices and other Federal agencies, and the private sector.