Do you desire to protect American interests and secure our Nation while building a meaningful and rewarding career? If so, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling. DHS components work collectively to prevent terrorism, secure borders, enforce and administer immigration laws, safeguard cyberspace and ensure resilience to disasters. The vitality and magnitude of this mission is achieved by a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
When disaster strikes, America looks to FEMA. Now FEMA looks to you. Join our team and use your talent to support Americans in their times of greatest need. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) prepares the nation for all hazards and manages Federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. We foster innovation, reward performance and creativity, and provide challenges on a routine basis with a well-skilled, knowledgeable, high performance workforce.
Who May Apply
- All U.S. Citizens
- For definitions of terms found in this announcement, please click here
This position is ideal for a professional who has experience with testing software changes and communicating the necessary software changes to developers. This position starts at a salary of $51,630.00 (GS-9 step 1) if selected at the GS-9 level with promotion potential to the GS-11 or $62,467.00 (GS-11 step 1) if selected at the GS-11 level. Full performance level of this position is at the GS-11 level. Apply for this exciting opportunity to become a member of the Process Design and Innovation Section of the National Processing Services Center Division.
PROMOTION POTENTIAL: Future promotions will be dependent on your ability to perform the duties at a higher level, the continuing need for an employee assigned to the higher level, and administrative approval.
This position is being announced under FEMA's CORE Program (Cadre of On-call Response/Recovery employees). These positions are authorized under P.L. 93-288 to perform temporary disaster work and are funded from the Disaster Relief Fund. Appointments are excepted service, temporary appointments. This is a 2 year temporary appointment in the Excepted Service.
EMERGENCY ASSIGNMENT: For all nonbargaining unit positions, the following applies: Every FEMA employee has regular and recurring emergency management responsibilities, though not every position requires routine deployment to disaster sites. All positions are subject to recall around the clock for emergency management operations, which may require irregular work hours, work at locations other than the official duty station, and may include duties other than those specified in the employee's official position description. Travel requirements in support of emergency operations may be extensive in nature (weeks to months), with little advance notice, and may require employees to relocate to emergency sites with physically austere and operationally challenging conditions.
Relocation expenses are not authorized for this position.
In this position, you will serve as a Program Specialist in the Testing and Analysis Department in the Process Design and Innovation Section of the National Processing Service Center. Typical work assignments include:
- Assists in testing and evaluating new software changes' adherence to specified requirements and effectiveness and documents findings.
- Communicates with representatives of FEMA Regional Offices, National Processing Service Centers, headquarters, other Federal agencies and private disaster relief organizations as a subject matter expert with the National Emergency Management Information System (NEMIS) and other related systems.
- Assists in analysis of current system problems reported by end users in order to provide technical advice to resolve problems or identify when system developer support is required.
- Identifies and participates in the development of realistic and rigorous test scenarios and testing procedures.
- Records, verifies and analyzes system performance issues reported by end users.