Job Title: Technical Writer-Editor - NIAID - MPJob Announcement Number: NIH-NIAID-MP-13-920916
Department: Department Of Health And Human Services
Agency: National Institutes of Health
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Monday, July 15, 2013 to
Friday, July 19, 2013
SERIES & GRADE:
Full Time -
1 vacancy in the following location:
Montgomery County, MD United StatesView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
Status Candidates (Merit Promotion and VEOA Eligibles)
The NIH is the premier biomedical research center for the world. Its 27 Institutes and Centers employ approximately 18,000 employees doing a vast array of jobs, all supporting efforts for a healthy nation. For information on the NIH mission, goals, and Institutes and Centers, visit NIH Overview.
This position is located in the Office of Communications & Government Relations (OCGR), Office of Science Management and Operations (OSMO), National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), National Institutes of Health (NIH), Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). The Office of Communications and Government Relations (OCGR) has overall responsibility for coordinating efforts to interpret and disseminate the goals and results of NIAID research programs and projects to numerous audiences, including the biomedical community, Congress, State and local governments, the media, constituents and other specialized groups, physicians and other healthcare providers and the general public at national and international levels.
- Time in grade met within 30 days of closing date.
- Position is subject to a background investigation.
DUTIES:Back to top
If you are selected for this position, you will perform the following duties:
- Serve as production manager for many nationwide projects and analyze existing nationwide publications (e.g. practitioner's guide) in terms of purpose, content, format, effectiveness and necessity.
- Recommend revisions, format changes, alternative methods of information presentation, or other changes to ensure that the publication contributes to fulfilling the agency's mission and provide the critical information needed by the intended audience.
- Collaborate with subject matter experts (scientists, researchers, medical professionals) to conduct background research (using published source materials, interviews with subject matter experts, etc.) and present research and other technical and scientific information clearly and persuasively: Interpret scientific and technical information; identify and prioritize critical content; ensure information aligns with the intended audience and is consistent with policy and program goals; re-write and edit material for clarity, persuasiveness and adherence to format and style conventions of targeted information outlet.
- Participate in conceptualizing and developing reports to Congress and other specialized audiences.
- Provide a full range of editorial support to management and professional staff on materials intended for publication or presentation.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
You must demonstrate in your resume at least 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-11 level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector, performing the following types of tasks: editing moderately complex scientific and techinical material; writing printed or spoken media for a general scientific audience or informed laymen; insuring that editing and writing conforms to all applicable requirements; and organizing, designing, and preparing communication materials, audio presentations, and PowerPoint slide presentations.
You must demonstrate in your resume at least 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-12 level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector, performing the following types of tasks: editing complex scientific and techinical material for printed or spoken media for a general scientific audience or informed laymen; this may include shifting of sentences within paragraphs; corrections of sentences for faulty syntax or poor choice of words; conformance to GPO required style, grammar, punctuation, and spelling; and organizing, designing, and preparing communication materials, audio presentations, and PowerPoint slide presentations.
View Assessment Questions
Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered with Selective Service.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED: