The NIH is the premier biomedical research center for the world. Its 27 Institutes and Centers employ approximately 18,000 employees doing a vast array of jobs, all supporting efforts for a healthy nation. For information on the NIH mission, goals, and Institutes and Centers, visit NIH Overview
This position is located in the Office of Communications & Government Relations (OCGR), Office of Science Management and Operations (OSMO), National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), National Institutes of Health (NIH), Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). The Office of Communications and Government Relations (OCGR) has overall responsibility for coordinating efforts to interpret and disseminate the goals and results of NIAID research programs and projects to numerous audiences, including the biomedical community, Congress, State and local governments, the media, constituents and other specialized groups, physicians and other healthcare providers and the general public at national and international levels.
If you are selected for this position, you will perform the following duties:
- Serve as production manager for many nationwide projects and analyze existing nationwide publications (e.g. practitioner's guide) in terms of purpose, content, format, effectiveness and necessity.
- Recommend revisions, format changes, alternative methods of information presentation, or other changes to ensure that the publication contributes to fulfilling the agency's mission and provide the critical information needed by the intended audience.
- Collaborate with subject matter experts (scientists, researchers, medical professionals) to conduct background research (using published source materials, interviews with subject matter experts, etc.) and present research and other technical and scientific information clearly and persuasively: Interpret scientific and technical information; identify and prioritize critical content; ensure information aligns with the intended audience and is consistent with policy and program goals; re-write and edit material for clarity, persuasiveness and adherence to format and style conventions of targeted information outlet.
- Participate in conceptualizing and developing reports to Congress and other specialized audiences.
- Provide a full range of editorial support to management and professional staff on materials intended for publication or presentation.