To qualify for this position, you must have one year of specialized experience performing executive level work that has given you the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities required for successful performance. You would typically gain this experience by working within this field or a field of work that is closely related. Such experience includes knowledge of both the legislative process and foreign assistance programs activities and principles sufficient to oversee the Agencys legislative work.
Applicants must demonstrate that they meet all of the qualifications (I and II) listed below:
I. TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS (TQ): Applicants must possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of this position. Your resume must demonstrate such experience and you will be required to address narratives within the assessment section of this job announcement. Work experience should be in or directly related to the work of the position and include the following:
TQ1. Demonstrated executive-level, senior leadership experience working on or with Capitol Hill. Experience should clearly demonstrate working for a Member and/or Committee with a major focus on foreign affairs and international development.
TQ2. Demonstrated experience working in legislative affairs for a Federal agency or department with a major focus on foreign affairs and international development.
TQ3. Demonstrated experience in formulating and executing international development related legislative strategies (including working with authorizing and appropriations committees).
TQ4. Working familiarity with the Inter-Agency process and ability to coordinate legislative affairs activities with the White House, National Security Council, Departments of State and Defense, and other Federal agencies and departments.
II. ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS: In addition to meeting the technical qualifications above, applicants must provide detailed narratives to support progressively responsible leadership experience that is indicative of senior executive level management capabilities related to the skills and abilities outlined using the following Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs):
- *ECQ 1 Leading Change - This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
- *ECQ 2 Leading People - This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
- *ECQ 3 Results Driven - This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
- *ECQ 4 Business Acumen - This core qualification involves the ability to strategically manage human, financial, and information resources.
- *ECQ 5 Building Coalitions - This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizational to achieve common goals.
*Responses should summarize the applicant's experience in relation to the specific ECQ (noted above) and specific examples of accomplishments. Examples should be clear, concise, and emphasize your level of responsibilities, scope, and complexity of programs managed, program accomplishments with result of your actions, policy initiative, and level of contact. For each competency, you must describe an accomplishment which should include the following information:
· Situation - a general statement of the situation or circumstances surrounding what you accomplished/achieved.
· Actions - a precise description of exactly what you did (activities you performed, duties, and responsibilities.
· Outcomes - a description of the outcomes (the direct or indirect results or long-term impact of your accomplishment).
· The start and end dates of the time period during which the activities were performed.
Specific instructions for preparing your statement and definitions of these core qualifications are available at http://www.opm.gov/ses/references/GuidetoSESQuals_2010.pdf .
You must submit narrative responses to the technical qualifications and ECQs by following the link to the assessment questionnaire. If you are not able to take the assessment online, you must upload your narrative responses addressing each of the technical qualifications and the ECQs (Each response is limited to 7500 characters). Please see the "How To Apply" section for further information on alternative methods to applying online.
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants who do not demonstrate that they meet the Technical Qualifications (TQs) and Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) are eliminated from further consideration. Unless you are currently serving under a career Senior Executive Service appointment, are eligible for reinstatement into the Senior Executive Service, or have successfully completed a Senior Executive Service Candidate Development Program (CDP) approved and certified by OPM, you must address each of the above mandatory ECQs.
All qualification requirements must be met by 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Time) on the closing date of this vacancy announcement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a preliminary review of your resume will be made to determine if you are qualified for this position. Qualified applicants will be evaluated by USAID's Executive Resources Board (ERB) rating panel to determine the "Best Qualified" applicants and will be based upon the degree to which you meet the ECQs. The ERB will refer the top applicants to the selecting official for consideration. As a prerequisite for an initial career appointment to the Senior Executive Service, individual's executive qualifications must also be certified by a Qualification Review Board (QRB) convened by the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM).
Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omission may affect your rating.