Job Title: Human Resources Specialist (Classification)Job Announcement Number: PATHMR-2013-0024
Department: Department Of Agriculture
Agency: Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Thursday, July 11, 2013 to
Tuesday, September 17, 2013
SERIES & GRADE:
Recent Graduates Program
1 vacancy -
Minneapolis, MN, US View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
Recent Graduates from qualifying institutions having completed an academic program within the preceding two years. (NOTE: Veterans who were precluded by their military service obligation from meeting this requirement will have up to six years to apply). Applicants who do NOT meet the definition of Recent Graduate should apply to Case Exam vacancy announcement # 24MR-2013-0027
Relocation expenses will not be paid. This position is located in Marketing and Regulatory Programs Business Services. The program duration is one year and upon successful completion of program requirements, the incumbent may be converted to a term, career, or career conditional position.
The Recent Graduates Program affords developmental experiences in the Federal Government intended to promote possible careers in the civil service to individuals who have recently graduated from qualifying educational institutions or programs.
You can make a difference! The U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Marketing and Regulatory Programs (MRP) needs bright, energetic and committed professionals to facilitate the domestic and international marketing of U.S. agricultural products and to protect the health and care of animals and plants in the United States. MRP offers an array of occupations and is committed to diversity in the workplace. We operate in domestic and global markets. Be part of an organization that protects the health and agriculture of the American people. Join our team!
APHIS is an emergency response agency. This means that all Agency employees may be asked or assigned to participate in rotating temporary duty assignments to support emergency programs at some time during their careers with APHIS. For details click: APHIS Emergency Response
DUTIES:Back to top
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Consults and advises management officials on all phases of the classification and position management process by assisting them in the structuring and planning of their organization’s work.
- Determines conflict of interest/ financial disclosure on a variety of positions ranging from grades 1-15 including GS and Wage Grade positions.
- Makes position sensitivity designation determinations on a variety of positions ranging from grades 1-15 including GS and Wage Grade positions, makes determinations on the correct labor bargaining unit status.
- Consults, effectively listens and ask critical questions to identify customer issues and concerns.
- Maintains and ensures nationwide (headquarters-and field) position classification accuracy and consistency in interpreting and applying position classification standards.
- Interprets issuances, directives, regulations, laws and procedures to ensure that a well regulated program is maintained.
- Conducts position reviews as necessary to appropriately assess the proper pay plan, title, series, and grade level of a variety of position ranging from grades 1-15 including GS and Wage Grade positions.
- Makes fine distinctions in the proper crediting of factor levels and ultimate allocation of grade levels to positions and communicates grade distinctions to management with supporting criteria and justification.
- Prepares evaluation reports of positions reviewed and takes necessary action to ensure that positions are revised for accuracy and completeness.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
To qualify, you MUST meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
RECENT GRADUATES PROGRAM ELIGIBILITY
To be eligible, applicants must meet one of the following requirements;
- Completed all requirements for an associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational, or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution within the previous two (2)years; OR
- Completed all requirements for an associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational, or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution on or after December 27, 2010, and before July 10, 2012 (eligibility under this provision expires July 10, 2014); OR
- Individuals who, due to military service obligation, were precluded from applying to the Recent Graduates Program during any portion of the 2-year eligibility period described above shall have a full 2-year period of eligibility upon release or discharge from active duty. This eligibility period cannot extend more than 6 years from the date on which the requirements for the academic course of study were met.
Applicants can qualify by meeting the EDUCATION requirements specified below and/or the SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE requirements.
GS-9: Successful completion of a master's or equivalent graduate degree or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education in Public Administration, Human Resources Management, Political Science, Labor Economics or related field.
TRANSCRIPTS are required.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE AT THE GS-9 GRADE LEVEL Applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to the next lower level in the Federal Service. This experience may have been obtained in the private or public (local, county, state, Federal) sectors. Examples of qualifying experience include, but are not limited to:
- Reviews a manager’s request for a grade increase for a position.
- Conducts desk audits and position reviews for positions to ensure jobs are accurately classified.
- Prepare evaluation statements on classification actions, and participates in discussions of findings with management and employees.
COMBINATION OF EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE AT THE GS-9 GRADE LEVEL: Applicants may have combinations of successfully completed education and specialized experience to meet total qualification requirements. The total percentages must equal at least 100 percent to qualify an applicant for that grade level. Applicants may have combinations of successfully completed graduate education and specialized experience to meet total qualification requirements. The total percentages must equal at least 100 percent to qualify an applicant for that grade level. To learn more about combining education and experience for this series, click the following: Combining Education and Experience for Administrative and Management Positions
- Transcripts including the date your degree was conferred is required. Applications will not be considered without this documentation.
- DD214 (Member 4 copy) or other veterans’ documents required to receive veterans’ preference and/or to document eligibility for individuals who, due to military service obligation, were precluded from applying
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with the Selective Service.
- If selected, official transcripts will be required prior to entrance on duty.
- A Pathways Participant Agreement will be required if you are selected for a position. The agreement must be signed by all applicable parties prior to entrance on duty.
- As a condition of employment, a background investigation may be required for this position.
- Some travel is required.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:Category rating procedures will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. The following quality categories will be used: Best Qualified, Well Qualified, and Qualified. Within each quality category, veterans' preference eligibles will receive selection priority over non-veterans.
Your final category placement will be based on your responses to the assessment questionnaire.
If, after reviewing your resume and / or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your score can / will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you. To preview questions please click here.