GS-9: You qualify at the GS-9 level if you possess one (1) year of specialized experience that equipped you with the skills needed to perform the job duties. This experience must have been equivalent to at least the GS-7 grade level. Examples include:
- Applying extensive knowledge of the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), the Privacy Act (PA), Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) and Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Bureau regulations, laws and policies to ensure that information is lawfully released or withheld;
- Applying extensive knowledge of the principles, concepts and methods of legal research and analysis to review documents for potential release of information;
- Processing a wide range of FOIA/PA actions, preparing affidavits, litigation reports, correspondence, notices, internal memoranda, or other documentation as necessary;
- Performing detailed analysis and evaluation of requests to determine whether the information sought is subject to release under FOIA/PA regulations or is eligible for exemption from release; and
- Comparing and correlating all evidence, investigative reports, and information obtained from other sources. OR,
- You may substitute a Master's degree or 2 full years of graduate education in a qualifying field or a L.L.B./J.D. degree for the experience required at the GS-9 grade level. This education must have been obtained from an accredited college or university and demonstrate the skills necessary to do the work of the position. Check with your school to determine how many credit hours comprise two years of graduate education. If that information is not available, use 36 semester or 54 quarter hours.
Note: Appropriate combinations of successfully completed post-high school education and experience also may be used to meet the total qualification requirements for the GS-9 grade level. If you are qualifying based in whole or in part on education, a copy of transcripts or a list of college courses, with credit hours, major(s) and grade point average or class ranking, name and address of institution is required. This education must be from an institution accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement. Qualification claims will be subject to verification.
Requirements by Closing Date: Unless otherwise noted, you must meet all requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
Probationary Period: This is a full-time permanent position (Career/Career-Conditional appointment). Upon appointment to this position, you may be required to serve a one-year probationary period.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
We will review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. If you meet the minimum qualifications, your experience, education and training will be rated using an Assessment Questionnaire. The questions are related to the following fundamental competencies (or Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities) needed to perform the duties of this job: Oral Communication; Organizational Awareness; Planning and Evaluating; Problem-Solving; Reasoning; Writing; Technology Application; and Technical Competence.
Based on your responses, you will be placed in one of the following categories:
- Best Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a superior level of all evaluation criteria.
- Well Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a satisfactory level of the evaluation criteria.
- Qualified: Applicants possessing the basic qualifications, with general knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Applicants in the best qualified category will be referred to the hiring manager and may be called for an interview.
ICTAP/CTAP Eligibles: If you have never worked for the federal government, you are not ICTAP/CTAP eligible. Information about ICTAP or CTAP eligibility is on the OPM's Career Transition Resources website at http://www.opm.gov/ctap/index.asp. To be considered well qualified under ICTAP/CTAP you must be placed in the well qualified category for this position as described above.
Veterans: Veterans with 5-point preference who meet the eligibility and qualification requirements are placed above non-preference eligibles within the category in which they are qualified. Veterans who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10% are placed in the best qualified category above non-preference eligibles, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-09 grade level or higher. This position IS NOT considered scientific/professional. For more information regarding veterans' preference, please see: http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.