Plant Biologist, GS-0401:
A. Degree in the biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to this position; OR
B. Combination of education and experience courses equivalent to a major, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
Plant Physiologist, GS-435:
A degree in botany or plant physiology; or a related scientific discipline that included at least 10 semester hours in plant physiology.
A. Degree in entomology; or a related scientific discipline of the biological sciences that included at least 16
semester hours in entomology; OR
B. Combination of education and experience courses equivalent to a major that included courses work as
shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
A. Degree in agronomy; or related discipline of science that included at least 30 semester hours of course work
in basic plant sciences, including at least 15 semester hours in agronomic subjects, such as those dealing
with plant breeding, crop production, and soil and crop management, OR
B. Combination of education experience at least 30 semester hours in the basic plant sciences, including a
minimum of 15 semester hours in agronomic subjects, as show in A above, plus appropriate experience or
In addition to the above Basic Requirements:
For the GS-14 level, candidates must possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-13 level in the Federal service.
For the GS-15 level, candidates must possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-14 level in the Federal service.
Specialized Experience is experience directly related to the position to be filled. The specialized experience requirements for this position are:
1. Knowledge of theories, principles, concepts and methods of agricultural research programs such as weed science, plant physiology, entomology, or agronomy as they relate to integrated pest management and crop production.
2. Skill in planning, coordinating and evaluating multidisciplinary research programs, and interpreting and documenting research findings.
3. Ability to apply administrative and management principles to establish goals and priorities, and assess and assign resources required to accomplish programmatic goals.
4. Ability to develop and maintain cooperative research programs with other scientists, government agencies, colleges, universities, and professional societies and associations.
Applicants must address the specialized experience requirements in their resume (or application documents). Applications that do not reflect the specialized experience requirements will not be deemed qualified.
Supervisory/Managerial Competencies - the following KSAs will also be used to evaluate candidates in the interview and selection process:
1. Ability to lead and accomplish work through others (i.e. team building, conflict management, cultural awareness, strategic thinking, technology management, and political savvy.)
2. Ability to communicate with individuals or groups from diverse backgrounds in a variety of situations.
This position has a positive education requirement. You must submit a copy of your academic transcripts OR a list of college courses with credit hours, dates completed, and grade point average or class ranking to verify education when applying for this position. If this information is not provided, your education may not be appropriately evaluated and you may lose consideration for this position. If you are selected for this position, you will have to provide an official copy of your transcripts prior to entering on duty.
Education completed outside of the United States must be deemed equivalent to that gained in conventional/accredited U.S. education programs to be acceptable for Federal employment. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying. Please visit the Office of Personnel Management's website for additional information on this topic.
Time-in-grade restrictions apply for all candidates considered under Alternative Merit Promotion.
All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this vacancy announcement.
Applicants must be available to report for duty at the time a selection is made. Selections are typically made within 30 days of the closing date of the announcement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
You will be evaluated to determine if you meet the basic and any additional requirements. The Agricultural Research Service uses a category rating process. Based on evaluation of all written materials submitted in application for the position, you will be determined to be Ineligible if you do not meet eligibility and/or minimum qualifications criteria; Eligible if you meet all eligibility and minimum qualifications criteria; OR Quality if you meet quality criteria in addition to eligibility and minimum qualifications criteria.