· Participates as leader or member of a number of interdisciplinary planning teams charged with updating national programs to reflect changes in national priorities and policies.
· Identifies links between program areas and incorporates same in all phases of the planning process;
· Establishes and maintains communication with ARS Research Leaders and non-ARS research organizations in the assigned area to ensure that ARS research programs are kept scientifically up-to-date;
· Serves as the Agencys technical expert on invasive pests of crops, and advises ARS administrators on related technical and policy issues, represents and speaks for the Agency concerning relevant program areas, and serves as Agency technical liaison between scientists, industry, and action and regulatory agencies;
· Identifies a need for, and arranges and/or leads field program reviews that assess, validate, and schedule program shifts targeted in implementation and operational plans in integrated pest management research;
· Evaluates operational plans and ongoing research programs, and assesses progress toward achieving ARS program plan objectives;
· Serves as a member of an Interdisciplinary National Program team charged with examining the impact that various funding levels would have on programs and recommending options for resource allocations and program changes;
· Serves as a leader and/or member of interdisciplinary research teams assigned to examine interdisciplinary problems involved within area of expertise; and
· Maintains scientific knowledge, expertise and reputation in agricultural crops and attends scientific professional meetings.
Frequent travel is required.