Vacancy Identification Number (VIN) 908694
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities and leadership positions at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the Nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/
Note: The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-6. The actual grade at which an applicant may be selected for this vacancy is in the range of GS-3 to GS-6. The Professional Standards Board (a peer-review group) will review the selected candidates education and experience and recommend the grade and step at which the candidate will be placed. The salary is based on the grade and step approved for the selected candidate.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Relocation Expenses: Relocation expenses are not authorized for this position.
The Licensed Practical Nurse in the Primary Care Clinic is an integral part of the Patient Aligned Care Team (PACT). The PACT LPN works under the direction of an RN and reports to the primary care manager. The LPN is responsible for observing, recording and reporting changes in the patient's condition, as well as assisting in the development and revision of the patient-driven holistic care plan for life. The LPN is a member of the larger Team. The LPN requires a general review of their work by an RN for appropriateness and conformity with license, policies and procedures. The LPN demonstrates active collaboration and communication with Teamlet (Patient, Primary Care Provider, RN Care Manager and Clinical Support/ Patient Service Administrative Assistant (PSA) and Larger Team (family/care giver, internal and community based services and disciplines involved in providing care to the patient). He/She is administratively responsible to the Nurse Manager, Primary Care Clinics Salt Lake City VAHCS (Salt Lake City and Western Salt Lake Clinic). The Licensed Practical Nurse in PACT is also professionally and clinically responsible to the overall collaborative functioning of the PACT Team.
ROLES/RESPONSIBILITIES TO INCLUDE:
- Medication administration to include IV medication if certified
- Focuses on clinic visits, exams and treatments with provider
- Uses motivational interviewing and health coaching to guide patients in order to promote patient self-management toward individualized life plan of care.
- Reviews daily schedules for patient care needs.
- Attends and contributes to Team huddles.
- Delivers messages from patients and participates in face-to face visits.
- Processing Clinical reminders with appropriate consults and alerts as indicated.
- Pre- visit contacts
- Assists with coordination of group visits
- Assists with orientation: PACT patient orientation and new staff
- Assists with minor procedures, including obtaining and arranging necessary equipment, positioning patient, ensuring comfort and privacy. Monitors patient during the procedure.
- Adheres to standards of practice and safe technique in preparation and administration of medication.
- Promptly recognizes urgent or emergent patient care situations, seeks assistance and effectively intervenes as directed when appropriate.
- Based on the patient's goals provides patient and family health education, to include self-management, prevention and wellness.
- Adheres to principles of infection control, safety, and universal precautions.
- Adheres to all requirements in regard to reusable medical equipment.
- Responsible for minor adjustments of the PCP schedule prior to daily huddles i.e., labs, appointments, hospital/ED discharges, staff shortage.
- Demonstrates competence utilizing special equipment needed to perform job duties.
- Demonstrates initiative in assisting the Teamlet and larger Teams.
- Assists in the orientation and competency validation of students, peers and clerical staff.
- Maintains confidentiality of electronic, written, and/or verbal patient information.
- Serves as a resource and advocate in the protection of patient and family rights.
- Completes mandatory reviews, including motivational interviewing, in order to promote patient self-management toward individualized life plan of care.
Work Schedule: Full-time, 8 hr. day shifts, Tuesday through Saturday (schedule subject to change based on unit needs).
Weekday duties may include floating to other care areas within primary care to include the specialty clinics and the West Valley Primary Care Clinic located at 5600 West 2750 South in West Valley, UT.