The Navy and Marine Corps team offers innovative, exciting and meaningful work linking military and civilian talents to achieve our mission and safeguard our freedoms. Department of the Navy provides competitive salaries, comprehensive benefits, and extensive professional development and training. From pipefitters to accountants, scientists to engineers, doctors to nurses-the careers and opportunities to make a difference are endless. Civilian careers-where purpose and patriotism unite!
The Bureau of Medicine and Surgery provides high quality patient- and family-centered medical care in wartime and peacetime. Civilian healthcare professionals work side-by-side with military medical staff to care for active duty members, their families, and retirees at medical facilities around the globe. Every day, no matter what the environment, Navy Medicine is ready to provide world class care, anytime, anywhere.
This position is located at one of the Naval Branch Health Clinics at the Naval Medical Center San Diego, CA where the mission is to prepare to deploy in support of operational forces, deliver quality health services, and shape the future of military medicine through education, training and research. For addititional information on the Naval Medical Center San Diego, click here.
Located on the coast of the Pacific Ocean in Southern California, San Diego is widely known as "America's Finest City". Famous for its miles and miles of white-sand beaches and amazing weather, San Diego is renowned for its incredible climate, which is characterized by warm, dry summers and mild winters, with an average yearly temperature that measures above 70 degrees and an average of just 42 rainy days per year!
* Overtime/shift/weekend holiday work may be required.
Qualified candidates that apply by 7/19/13 will be referred first. All qualified candidates received after that date will be referred as needed.
The purpose of this announcement is to recruit qualified individuals using OPM Government-wide Direct Hire Authority (DHA) authorized by Title 5 USC §3304 and 5 CFR 337 Part 337, Subpart B. The rule of three, veteran preference, and traditional rating and ranking of applicants do not apply to the direct hire process. For more information on OPM DHA please visit http://www.opm.gov/DirectHire/factsheet.asp .
In this position, you will perform meaningful professional work as a Family Practice Physician.
A typical day includes:
- Providing the full range of independent primary care, including evaluating and treating patients.
- Ordering and interpreting diagnostic studies.
- Determining the need for consultation with other specialists.
- Promoting preventive health maintenance care, including regular physical and stressing positive health behaviors through education and counseling.
- Conducting peer review and participating in performance improvement activities.
- Providing input on Command inquiries and patient contract concerns.
- Training students in medical training programs, including, medical students, Physician Assistant students, and Independent Duty Corpsman students.