The National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA) is the Federal component of a nationwide extramural research, educational, and outreach system which supports the global, science-based agricultural enterprise and accomplishes its missions in partnership with land-grant universities and other academic and scientific organizations. To learn more about NIFA, please visit http://www.nifa.usda.gov.
This position is with the Equal Opportunity Staff (EOS) in the Office of the Director. The mission of EOS is to provide national leadership and guidance to ensure that NIFA and its State land-grant university partners receiving NIFA funds, comply with federal nondiscrimination laws and related USDA departmental rules and regulations.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
As an Equal Opportunity Specialist, you will have the following responsibilities:
- Provide national leadership, technical assistance, and advice to State land-grant universities across the country, as well as land-grant institutions in the U.S. Territories;
- Plan, conduct, and lead compliance reviews and evaluations of educational and employment programs, as well as present evaluation reports and recommendations;
- Conduct negotiations to bring individuals/groups who are in violation into compliance;
- Develop and recommend broad objectives, programs, policies, and plans for strengthening and improving elements of affirmative action and nondiscrimination;
- Review existing and new policies and regulations and recommend changes to ensure compliance;
- Provide leadership and consultative services to land-grant staffs to develop and conduct periodic EEO/Civil Rights and affirmative action reviews;
- Provide leadership and technical assistance in planning, organizing, and conducting training; and
- Participate in national, regional, and state meeting and conferences.
This position requires a considerable amount of travel outside of the duty station.