"Since its founding in 1961, the US Agency for International Development has invested in innovative, cost-effective solutions that save millions of lives..."
USAID is an independent Federal Government agency that receives overall foreign policy guidance from the Secretary of State. With headquarters in Washington, D.C., USAID fosters transformational development around the world. Our work supports economic growth and trade; agriculture and the environment; education and training; democracy and governance; global health; global partnerships and humanitarian assistance. We operate in four regions of the world: Sub-Saharan Africa; Asia and the Near East; Latin America and the Caribbean; and Europe and Eurasia. For more information on USAID please click on the link: www.usaid.gov
This position is located in The Bureau for Management, Office of The Chief Financial Officer, Central Accounting and Reporting Division. M/CFO/CAR is recruiting an Accountant, who will report to the the Division Chief. As an Accountant on the General Leader Team (GL), you will provide professional/technical accounting advice and counsel to managers and a group of accountants who are responsible for managing USAID's accounting and reporting activities recorded in the Pheonix GL accounting system. For a more detailed description of the duties, please see the job "duties" section of this announcement.
If you are interested in applying, please read the vacancy announcement in its entirety and follow the instructions listed under "HOW TO APPLY".
As an Accountant in M CFO CAR, on the General Ledger Team you will:
- Serve as an agency consultant, made available to USAID/Controllers and operating offices to provide assistance in resolving complex systematic/problems as well as to provide guidance and instruction on operating problems/procedures.
- Provide expert advice on the interpretation of accounting regulations, impact of new legislation and/or or program initiatives; interpret and advise division accountants on methods of policies implementation promulgated by higher authority.
- Advise USAID officials on accounting problems and new regulations, such as revisions in interagency payment procedures issued by the Department of Treasury; Financial Management Service.
- Serve as local expert authority on reconciliation of integrated accounts for a variety of accounting systems. These accounting systems include commercial-type double entry and fund control systems.
- Plan, organize and direct operations, including independent reviews of the integrated automated accounting system and reports in order to assure management that the established system controls are working properly.
- Assist with leading agency general ledger (GL) periodic reporting requirements to Treasury and OMB.
- Update posting models and GL accounts in agency’s Phoenix accounting system to keep up with changes to the U.S. Standard General Ledger (USSGL). This function requires understanding of USSGL transactions, reporting crosswalks, and inter-relationships between various GL accounts.
- Explain USAID GL accounting to auditors from Inspector General Offices and reviews their findings and recommendations to make sure that the findings are based in a proper understanding of procedures; ensures recommendations are related to the findings and possible to implement within USAID’s span of control.
- Validate and provides various accounting data on an ad-hoc basis, such as Congressional requests for unobligated balances.