Applicants must have experience and/or training of sufficient scope and quality to perform the duties required. Applicants will be rated in accordance with their knowledge and skill in the job elements listed below.
(1) Ability to do the work of an Air Conditioning Equipment Mechanic without more than normal supervision. This is the screen-out element; applicants who are not rated satisfactory on the screen-out element will not be rated on the remaining elements.
(2) Knowledge of Equipment Assembly, Installation, Repair, etc.
(3) Technical practices (theoretical, precise, artistic).
(4) Ability to Use and Maintain Tools, Equipment, Including Measuring Instruments
(5) Ability to Interpret Instructions, specifications, etc.
(6) Knowledge of Materials
A Pre- Employment Physical Examination Is Required
(1) EPA Approved Refrigerant Transition and Recovery Certification of Universal for Types I, II, and III.
(2) Valid State Issued Driver's License
All applicants are required to complete the supplemental questionnaire found below. Applicants who fail to complete and return the questionnaire with their other application materials will not receive further consideration.
Air Conditioning Equipment Mechanic
Element 1: Ability to do the work of an Air Conditioning Equipment Mechanic without more than normal supervision (Screen-Out)
1) Use the numbers below to describe your level of experience in the following areas:
1 - Advanced Journeyman/Expert Professional
2 - Journeyman
3 - Somewhat Experienced
4 - Limited Experience
5 - Trainee / Apprentice
6 - No Experience
2) Do you select the type of equipment, material, or tools to be used for a particular task or does your supervisor tell you what to use?
3) Use the numbers and letters below to describe: 1) Your level of experience in each area; and 2) the supervision you receive when performing the work.
1 - Expert
2 - Journeyman
3 - Somewhat Experienced
4 - Limited Experience
5 - No Experience
A Close supervision
B Technical supervision
C General Supervision
D No supervision (expert)
______ Install, maintain, troubleshoot, and repair building cooling systems; must be able to operate, repair, and maintain commercial and industrial air handling units, root top package units, chillers, and other units including mini and full-sized split DX systems.
______ Install, maintain, troubleshoot, and repair unit heaters, furnaces, radiant tube and water coil fan/unit heaters, and hot water and steam boilers.
______ Maintain, troubleshoot, and repair domestic and de-ionized water lines, and steam and hot water piping systems and valves, including air compressors and vacuum systems.
______ Maintain, troubleshoot, and perform preventative maintenance on laboratory refrigerated equipment, such as walk-in-coolers, refrigerated water fountains, deep freeze cabinets, and refrigerated centrifuges.
Element 2-E: Knowledge of Equipment Assembly, Installation, Repair, etc.
1) Use the numbers below to describe your experience with the following (more than one number may apply):
1 Perform routine installations, adjustments and/or repairs with guidance/supervision
2 Maintain and repair without assistance (assistance may be required when resolving difficult problems)
3 Able to independently install
4 Able to independently locate and diagnose malfunction
5 Able to independently operate
6 Able to independently repair/replace
7 Considered an expert, called on to do unusual jobs
8 Provide technical direction to lower-graded employees
____ Ventilation fans and blowers
____ Heating pumps and exchangers
____ Chilled water systems
____ Circulation pumps
____ Boiler and Chiller equipment
____ Air filter systems
____ Humidity control equipment
____ Steam handling equipment
____ Water heaters
____ Pipe insulation
____ Steam traps
____ Electrical equipment service (to the equipment disconnect)
Element 25-E: Technical Practices (theoretical, precise, artistic)
1) For each ability or knowledge you use, write the number of each statement that describes your training or experience.
1 Occasional use of the ability or knowledge
2 Frequent use
3 Instruct or direct others in use
4 Very thorough ability or knowledge
____ Ability to plan, layout, set up and perform operations to complete jobs in the refrigeration trade.
____ Ability to plan, layout, set up and perform operation to complete jobs in the heating trade.
____ Ability to plan, layout, set up and perform operation to complete jobs in the cooling trade.
____ Ability to plan, layout, set up and perform operation to complete jobs in the plumbing trade.
____ Ability to modify equipment and/or switch readily from one technique to another in order to
achieve work goals.
____ Ability to apply practices in saving materials and using machines and equipment.
____ Ability to determine techniques and materials necessary for the job.
2) Check the applicable item that indicates the type of supervision you receive when performing the work above:
______ Close Supervision
______ Technical Supervision
______ General Supervision
______ No Supervision (Expert)
Element 75-A: Ability to interpret instructions, specifications, etc. (includes blueprints)
1) Use the numbers below to describe your experience with the following:
1 Have not used
2 Used with assistance from others
3 Used independently
4 Provided instruction to others
______ Building codes
______ Building plans
______ Manufacturer specifications
______ Technical manuals
______ Work orders
______ Parts diagrams
2) Check the response that describes your work situations (more than one may apply):
______ Follow specific instructions under close supervision.
______ Follow work orders and work from sketches or basic blueprints which are complete in terms of
materials and methods used.
______ Follow and interpret instructions, sketches, blueprints, and/or diagrams.
______ Use judgment and experience to adapt specifications.
______ Inspect completed projects for compliance with drawings and specifications.
______ Respond to frequent, new or changed instructions or specifications.
______ Work from rough sketches and oral assignments lacking definite detail.
______ Provide guidance and instruction to others on the full range of specifications.
Elements 60 & 81 Ability to use and maintain tools and equipment, including measuring instruments
1) For each tool and/or measuring instrument below, write the number that best describes your experience and/or training (more than one may apply).
1 Able to use
2 Able to repair
3 Able to maintain
4 Serve as technical expert in the use and maintenance of the tool
5 Have never used
______ Hand and Power Tools wrenches, sockets, gauge manifold, drills, saws
______ Air flow diagnostic tools anemometer, manometer
______ Water Chemical Analysis Kits
______ Electronic diagnostic equipment such as Mega ohm meter
______ Vacuum gauges such as Micron gauge
______ Recording instruments such as data loggers
______ Diagnostic equipment such as psychometers, refractometers, and tachometers
Do you have a valid State issued drivers license? _____ Yes _____ No
Are you willing to respond to call-back work; this includes returning to the Location to respond to automated system failures? You would be required to be available as needed and provide contact information where you can be reached. ____ Yes _____ No
I certify that the above statements made in this form are true, complete, and correct to the best of my knowledge and are made in good faith.
All Qualification Requirements MUST Be Met By The Closing Date Of This Vacancy Announcement.
Applicants Must Be Available To Report For Duty At The Time A Selection Is Made. Selections Are Typically Made Within 30 Days Of The Closing Date Of The Vacancy Announcement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
The Agricultural Research Service uses a category rating process. Based on evaluation of all written materials submitted in application for the position, you will be determined to be Ineligible if you do not meet eligibility and/or minimum qualifications criteria; Eligible if you meet all eligibility and minimum qualifications criteria; OR Quality if you meet quality criteria in addition to eligibility and minimum qualifications criteria.