Job Title: Interdisciplinary: Research Physical Scientist/Research ChemistJob Announcement Number: DOE-NETL-13-DE-022
Department: Department Of Energy
Agency: Department of Energy
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Wednesday, July 03, 2013 to
Sunday, July 14, 2013
SERIES & GRADE:
This is a full-time position. -
This is a permanent position.
The National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL) is a U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) National Laboratory that produces technological solutions to America's energy challenges. For more than 100 years, the laboratory has focused on developing tools and processes to provide clean, reliable, and affordable energy to the American people.
The Molecular Science Division (MSD) builds and maintains the human capital and experimental facilities required for key research & development to enable the DOE’s missions for energy security and sustainable utilization of the Nation’s domestic energy resources. Technical expertise within the MSD provides computational and experimental insight leading to the discovery and optimization of materials for energy processes. Scientists, engineers, and support staff in the division work as members of cross-cutting ORD technical groups to conceive, plan, manage, and conduct exploratory and applied research, within the Division’s areas of expertise, to meet the goals and milestones described by the ORD’s research portfolio. The division develops and maintains core competencies in molecular optimization and materials fundamentals and provides technical expertise to the larger NETL organization, as needed.
- You must be a United States Citizen.
- This employer participates in the e-Verify program.
- Relocation expenses may be paid consistent with the Department's policy.
- See "Other Information" section regarding Selective Service requirements.
DUTIES:Back to top
As a Research Physical Scientist/Research Chemist, you will:
- Plan and execute research focused on the discovery and development of new chemical conversion processes for use in the area of fossil fuels utilization and carbon utilization
- Provide technical direction to lower level professionals and technicians
- Prepare technical reports and manuscripts for publication and presentation
- Promote technology transfer programs with private industry, other research organizations, and other Federal entities
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
A qualified candidate's online application and resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position is defined as:
- GS-12: Experience carrying out research tasks to support studies that have as their objective discovery, development, and commercialization of chemical conversion processes with improved performance characteristics for application in advanced energy systems.
- GS-13: Experience assisting as a team member in defining and carrying out research studies that have as their objective discovery, development, and commercialization of chemical conversion processes with improved performance characteristics for application in advanced energy systems.
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS REQUIREMENTS
Your application and resume should demonstrate that you possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs). Do not provide a separate narrative written statement. Rather, you must describe in your application how your past work experience demonstrates that you possess the KSAs identified below. Cite specific examples of employment or experience contained in your resume and describe how this experience has prepared you to successfully perform the duties of this position. DO NOT write "see resume" in your application!
- Skill in chemical conversion process design, synthesis, and analysis.
- Skill in testing of chemical conversion processes performance, stability, and result analysis.
- Knowledge of chemical conversion process and chemistry as it applies to its use in the in the area of fossil fuels and carbon utilization (e.g., conversion of natural gas to fuels and chemicals, conversion of coal and\or biomass into transportation fuels, utilization of other carbon sources to produce fuels and\or chemicals etc.).
- Ability to formulate research concepts and develop and execute projects, including formal external collaborations and partnerships.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
You must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
EDUCATION: Education requirements can be viewed at OPM's website—General Physical Sciences. The Group Qualification Standard for Professional and Scientific positions contains additional information pertaining specifically to Research Positions.
You must provide documentation supporting your education claims. Education must be obtained from an accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Foreign education must be reviewed by an organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For special instructions pertaining to foreign education and a list of organizations that can evaluate foreign education, see the Department of Education website.
- This position is included in the bargaining unit.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application will be rated by our application system using the Category Rating procedure. A quality review will then be conducted by the HR Office and/or Subject Matter Expert (SME). Your application is rated based on the extent and quality of your experience, education (if applicable to the job), and training described in your online resume/questionnaire as related to the duties of this position. The quality categories are usually defined as "Best Qualified", "Well Qualified" and "Qualified". Veterans Preference eligibles will be listed at the top of whichever category your score places you in. CP/CPS veterans are placed at the top of the highest category for all positions except professional and scientific positions at GS-9 and higher.
If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses you provided in your online questionnaire, or if you fail to submit required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted. To preview questions please click here.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
To be considered for this position, you must submit a complete application no later than 11:59pm (Eastern Time) on the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to submit a complete application prior to the closing time (regardless of when you started) the application system will not allow you to finish. Requests for extensions will not be granted, so please begin the application process allowing yourself enough time to finish before the deadline. Our application system displays a countdown timer in the top-left corner of the screen for your reference.
Steps to submit a complete application:
- You must have a USAJOBS account and be logged in.
- You must have a completed resume. (Please note that some DOE offices do not accept uploaded resumes and require that you have a completed resume within your USAJOBS profile using the Resume Builder).
- Once you are logged in and all of your application materials ready, click the 'Apply Now' button.
- You must respond to all applicant assessment questions, carefully following all instructions provided.
- You will then be asked to upload additional supporting documentation, which may include (but is not limited to) transcripts, portfolio samples, certifications, and verification of veteran status.
- IMPORTANT: In the final step of the application process you will be shown a copy of your resume and all the information you entered during the application process. You must click the 'Finish' button at the bottom of this final page and receive confirmation that your application has been received. If you do not click 'Finish', your application will not be received.
If your resume does not support the responses in your application questionnaire, or if you fail to submit required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted accordingly.
- If you experience any difficulties with the application process (anything after you have clicked the Apply Now button), please contact the HR Specialist listed on this announcement between normal business hours.
- If you are having trouble with USAJOBS (searching for jobs, account profile issues, or Resume Builder help, please visit the USAJOBS Resource Center or e-mail USAJOBS3.email@example.com.
- If you are experiencing a significant hardship which hinders your ability to apply online please contact the HR Specialist listed on this announcement during normal business hours.
Please carefully review the following list to determine what documentation you need to submit. Some documents may not apply to all applicants.
If you are unsure, click the link for each document type to read more.
- ALL APPLICANTS: Resume supporting your specialized experience and responses to the online questionnaire.
- Applicants using education to qualify (if allowed): Documentation verifying your educational claims which can include unofficial transcripts or any report listing institution, course title, credits earned and grade. Education cannot be substituted for experience in some positions at higher grade levels. Please see the Education section for more information.
- Veterans: veteran eligibility documentation (DD-214, VA Letter, Standard Form (SF) 15 as applicable). Please note: If you are a veteran who has not yet been discharged, you may provide a statement of intent to discharge from your agency to receive Veterans Preference under the VOW (Veterans Opportunity to Work) to Hire Heroes Act of 2011.
- Persons with Disabilities: Individuals with intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities may apply for appointment through the Schedule A hiring authority. Certified verification of a disability from a licensed medical professional; a licensed vocational rehabilitation specialist; or any Federal, state, or District of Columbia agency or U.S. territory that issues or provides disability benefits will be required.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
After each step in the recruitment process, your status will be updated in USAJOBS. You can review your status in USAJOBS at any time. You may also elect to receive status updates via e-mail by changing the notification settings in your USAJOBS profile. Please check that your USAJOBS profile contact information is current and correct each time you apply to a job--this will ensure we are able to contact you as quickly as possible.