Job Title:Museum Curator (Art)
Job Announcement Number:13A-CR-298695-TRF-FSG
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Friday, June 28, 2013 to
Friday, July 19, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full-Time, Permanent -
Indefinite Trust Appointment. This is not a |
|FEW vacancies -
Washington, DC, USView Map|
WHO MAY APPLY:
|This position is open to all candidates eligible to work in the United States.|
This position is located in the Smithsonian Institution's Freer Gallery of Art and the Arthur M. Sackler Gallery (FSG). The employee serves as Curator of Chinese art, focusing on later Chinese objects such as ceramics, sculpture, lacquer, and furniture. The incumbent works under the general direction of the Chief Curator of the FSG.
The Smithsonian Institution values and seeks a diverse workforce. Join us in "Inspiring Generations through Knowledge and Discovery."
- Pass Pre-employment Background Investigation
- May need to complete a Probationary Period
- Maintain a Bank Account for Direct Deposit/Electronic Transfer
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
Basic Requirement for IS-1015-12 and IS-1015-13:
- Degree in an applicable subject-matter field such as Chinese art or
- A combination of education and experience - courses equivalent to a major, as shown above, plus appropriate experience or additional education or
- Four years of experience that provided knowledge comparable to that normally acquired through the successful completion of the 4-year course of study as shown above.
IS-12 - In addition to the Basic Requirements listed above, you must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the Grade 11 level in the Federal Service or comparable pay band system. For this position, Specialized experience is defined as experience in later Chinese objects such as ceramics, and lacquer performing duties related to the identification, acquisition, preservation, cataloguing, exhibition, and interpretation of art objects that represent the later Chinese collection areas of both museum.
IS-13 - In addition to the Basic Requirements listed above, you must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the Grade12 level in the Federal Service or comparable pay band system. For this position, Specialized experience is defined as experience in later Chinese objects such as ceramics, lacquer, sculpture and furniture performing duties related to the identification, acquisition, preservation, cataloguing, exhibition, and interpretation of art objects that represent the later Chinese collection areas of both museums.
Qualification requirements must be met within 30 days of the job announcement closing date.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application will be evaluated first for the basic qualifications described above. The applications that meet the basic qualifications will be evaluated further against the following criteria:
- Knowledge of and practical experience in post-Tang decorative arts in the following ceramics, lacquer, sculpture or furniture.
- Ability to read classical and/or modern Chinese language for research purposes.
- Ability to conduct research, develop new ideas and concepts, and to publish on later Chinese art in peer reviewed publications.
- Skill in writing labels and didactics for later Chinese art.
- Skill in identifying new acquisitions in later Chinese art for the permanent collections.
- Skill in oral communication to represent the museum and its collections, exhibitions, and programs of later Chinese art to different audiences.
Important Note: Your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses to the occupational questionnaire or other assessment tool for consistency.If a determination is made that you have rated yourself higher than is supported by your resume, you will be assigned a rating commensurate to your described experience.
Your resume should provide detailed information regarding how your education and experience relate to this position, including the major duties and qualifications criteria listed.
To preview questions please click here.