Find Solutions to Agricultural Problems that Affect Americans Every Day, From Field to Table
The Meat Safety and Quality Research Unit located in Clay Center, Nebraska is seeking a permanent, full-time, Biological Science Laboratory Technician to provide technical assistance to a Research Food Technologist to support the objectives of the unit to increase efficiency of lean meat production, to develop technology to sort meat products for quality traits, and to improve eating quality of meat. This position requires field work. This position will be assisting researchers in conducting studies and experiments on food-producing animals. Experiments will be conducted to support the objectives of developing technology to sort meat products for quality traits and to improve the eating quality and safety of meat. A thorough understanding of conducting biological research, field work, and the ability to use research equipment are necessary to these positions.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
At the full performance level of the position, incumbents for these positions perform a variety of duties in the following areas:
- Actively participates in one or more phases of the research process by performing a variety of complex technical duties, in a laboratory or field environment, common to the assigned area of work, and contributes ideas towards the planning and sequencing of the technical aspects of the research.
- Adapts, modifies or develops new techniques and/or procedures to satisfy the needs of the research project.
- Performs the full range of techniques and studies using a variety of specialized equipment.
- Maintains, calibrates and modifies complex/specialized equipment and automated systems used for test and evaluation procedures.
- Independently initiates action to resolve or correct technical difficulties and results, or recommends resolution to supervisor.
- Searches for literature pertinent to area of research for new procedures or techniques to use in the laboratory or field.
- Collects, prepares, evaluates and verifies samples and supporting records.
- Maintains records and locates and compiles data and other information from various sources.
- Keeps detailed records of experimental data.
- Tabulates, statistically analyzes and summarizes data using personal computers and software packages.
- Maintains inventory of chemicals, stock solutions, etc., prepares solutions and reagents for use in the laboratory or field, and safely disposes of waste material (both chemical and biological).