All qualifications must be met by the closing date of this announcement, Wednesday, July 17, 2013. Qualifying experience may be obtained in the private or public sectors.
QUALIFICATIONS: To be eligible for this position, you must possess the qualifying specialized experience and/or education as well as selective factors as described in the occupational/assessment questionnaire and as outlined below.
Basic Requirements: Education
GS-0101: Degree in behavioral or social science; or related disciplines appropriate to the position OR a combination of education and experience that provided the applicant with knowledge of one or more of the behavioral or social sciences equivalent to a major in the field OR Four years of appropriate experience that demonstrated that the applicant has acquired knowledge of one or more of the behavioral or social sciences equivalent to a major in the field.
GS-0401: Degree in biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position OR a combination of education and experience: Courses equivalent to a major, as shown above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
GS-408: Degree in biology, or a related field of science underlying ecological research that included at least 30 semester hours in basic and applied biological sciences. These hours must have included at least 9 semester hours in ecology, and 12 semester hours in physical and mathematical sciences.
You MUST submit a copy of your transcripts to verify education requirement above. If you do not submit transcripts you will be found not qualified for this position.Specialized Experience:
Along with the above requirement you must also have 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-13 in the federal service. Examples of specialized experience includes working in a program of natural, social and cultural resource research; securing funds and other resources to support the program; writing research proposals; working with outside partners.
Time-in-Grade Requirements: Time-in-grade requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement. This requires applicants who have held a GS position at any time within the past 52 weeks to have served at least 52 weeks at the next lower grade level in the normal line of progression for this occupation.
To qualify based on education, you must submit a legible copy of transcripts from an accredited institution with your name, school name, credit hours, course level, major(s), and grade-point average or class ranking. Applicants can verify accreditation HERE .
Transcripts do not need to be official but if you are selected for this position and you used your education to qualify then you will need to provide official transcripts before you enter on duty.
You can receive credit for education received outside the United States if you provide evidence that it is comparable to an accredited education institution in the United States when you apply. For further information click HERE.
1. You may be required to serve a probationary period of 1 year.
2. You may be required to operate a government (or private) motor vehicle as part of your official duties. Prior to your first official motor vehicle operation, and again every year thereafter (or more frequently if management determines such need exists), you will be required to sign an affidavit certifying to your possession of a valid State issued drivers license that is current and has not been revoked, suspended, canceled, or otherwise disqualified in any way to prohibit your operation of a motor vehicle. You will also submit a photocopy of your valid State issued drivers license prior to your first official motor vehicle operation, and again every year, or more frequently if management determines such need exists. Lastly, you may be required to submit (within a State sealed envelope or submitted directly by the State authorities), and at your own expense, all certified driving records from all States that discloses all valid drivers licenses, whether current or past, possessed by you. Please indicate in your application whether you possess a valid State drivers license.
3. Some travel is required.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your rating will be based on your responses to the Assessment Questionnaire and the information stated in your resume. The assessment questions relate to the following competencies that are required to perform the work of this position.
* Intensive professional knowledge and experience in the natural, social, or cultural sciences, and in the broad application of science and ecological principles to scientific research and resource management as evidenced by an advanced degree in an appropriate discipline from an accredited university.
* Ability to coordinate and facilitate a complex, integrated research program of natural, cultural and social science research including program development and implementation, securing resources to support the program, and establishing partnerships with federal, state, academic, and private entities to develop a comprehensive research program.
* Knowledge of contracting procedures and regulations sufficient to facilitate contracting of research, monitoring contract progress, and insuring contractor compliance with appropriate policies and procedures.
* Ability to lead group discussions, scientific workshops and work efforts among scientists and resource managers.
* Ability to communicate scientific information orally and in writing.
Your application will be reviewed to ensure you meet the basic qualifications. If you meet the qualification requirements based on your online application and are found to be among the top candidates you will be referred to the selecting official for further review. All answers provided in the online process must be substantiated in your application package. If it is determined that your work history, competencies, and/or your supporting documents do not support your answer choices, you will not be referred to the selecting official. Please ensure that your work history provides enough detail to support your answers to the competencies.
You must include months, years and hours per week worked to receive credit for your work experience. One year of specialized experience is equivalent to 12 months at 40 hours per week. Part-time hours are prorated. You will not receive any credit for experience that does not indicate exact hours per week or is listed as "varies".