The Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) is the public health agency in the U.S. Department of Agriculture responsible for ensuring that the nation's commercial supply of meat, poultry, and egg products is safe, wholesome and correctly labeled and packaged.
This position is located in the Eastern Laboratory of the Office of Public Health Science, Food Safety and Inspection Service in Athens, GA. For more information about the agency, visit http://www.fsis.usda.gov.
This position is covered by the Public Health Human Resources (PHHRS) Demonstration Project. Please visit: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Careers/PHHRS_Demo_Project/index.asp
AS Band 02 is equivalent to the GS-5/6/7; AS Band 03 is equivalent to the GS-8/9.
The incumbents duties include the following:
- Works in all phases of laboratory operations and is responsible for providing technical support in a variety of activities, as well as performing directed quality control procedures and assisting special projects.
- Provide technical support for the preparation of all specialized media, reagents, buffer solutions, and lab equipment required to analyze meat and poultry products.
- Plan and schedule all technical support activities in order that media, reagents and other materials are prepared on time.
- Assure that an adequate inventory of specialized media, control cultures, and supplies are maintained.
- Assist in the development and implementation of Standard Operating Procedures in accordance with ISO 17025 and the laboratory management system.
- Perform the quality control procedures and records in accordance with ISO 17025 and the laboratory management system.
- Operate and maintain instrumentation in accordance with ISO 17025 and laboratory management system requirements.
- The majority of the work is performed in a normal laboratory. The work requires recurring walking, bending, standing and lifting. Agility and dexterity are required as well as hand/eye coordination. Employees are required to use protective clothing or gear such as a laboratory coat, gloves, safety glasses, boots, and protective shields and hoods.