If you are intrigued by the idea of working at a unique federal agency that has a tremendous impact on the funding and advancement of science, engineering and education, then the National Science Foundation is the place for you. In addition to funding research in traditional academic areas, NSF also supports innovative ideas, novel collaborations and numerous projects that may seem like science fiction today, but become the reality of tomorrow.
NSF has the advantages of a small agency environment that fosters collaboration, creativity and opportunities to contribute to major agency-wide projects. Consistently ranked by its employees as one of the top federal agencies in managing its workforce, NSF maintains a creative, flexible, and collegial atmosphere and is respected in both the federal and scientific arenas for its work in promoting science, technology, education and management best practices. Join our team at one of the best places to work in the federal government and use your knowledge and imagination to keep NSF at the frontier of discovery! More about NSF. This position is located in the Office of Budget, Finance, and Award Management, Division of Financial Management, Accounting Operations Branch. The Division is responsible for the development, coordination and direction of financial management policies, programs and operations and for the design and operation of an efficient and effective automated accounting system. The Branch is responsible for the maintenance of the official accounting records for the NSF and, prepares internal and external financial reports to meet the financial requirements of the Foundation.
The National Science Foundation is seeking an Accountant who maintains, prepares, and presents financial management information on behalf of the Foundation. The Accountant monitors, inputs, corrects, and reconciles financial activity, and evaluates the context, accuracy, and timeliness of the agency's General Ledger and subsidiary accounts. In addition, the Accountant prepares and reports financial information to internal and external stakeholders, including Treasury, OMB, auditors, and trading partners. Specific duties include the following:
- Prepares both internal and external financial statements and reports, in accordance with federal requirements and accounting standards, to accurately reflect the activities and operations of the Foundation and its programs.
- Analyzes and reconciles intergovernmental balances, and works with other federal agencies to identify and resolve differences, to support and improve government-wide financial reporting.
- Determines whether accounting transactions are consistent with prescribed coding and that transactions are processed in accordance with US Standard General Ledger definitions.
- Reconciles and evaluates the content, accuracy and timeliness of the Foundation's General Ledger and subsidiary accounts.
- Analyzes and interprets financial data in order to detect trends and identify needed corrective measures and processes to improve systems accuracy and utility.
- Analyzes and assesses current and historical financial data for the purpose of developing special reports for use in improving the efficiency, accuracy and usefulness of available financial data.