Job Title: Information Technology Specialist (Network)Job Announcement Number: OIG-914475-13-26-SB
Department: Department Of The Interior
Agency: Office of the Inspector General
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Friday, June 21, 2013 to
Friday, June 28, 2013
SERIES & GRADE:
Full Time -
1 vacancy in the following location:
Reston, VA United StatesView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
Current U.S. Department of the Interior employees on Career/Career Conditional appointments in the competitive service.
The mission of the U.S. Department of the Interior (DOI) is to protect America's natural resources for future generations, provide access to our nation's natural and cultural heritage, offer recreational opportunities, honor its trust responsibilities to American Indians and Alaska Natives, conduct scientific research, provide wise stewardship of energy and mineral resources, and conserve and protect fish and wildlife.
The Department of the Interior, Office of Inspector General (OIG) is an independent office within the Department of the Interior (DOI) whose mission is to promote excellence, integrity, and accountability throughout DOI. The OIG conducts investigations, evaluations, and audits in order to enhance effectiveness and efficiency and to prevent and detect waste, fraud, and mismanagement in DOI programs and operations.
As an Information Technology Specialist within OIG's Information Technology Division, Office of Management, you will support the unique mission of the OIG primarily in the area of information systems administration and development, oversight, telecommunications, and information management. You will play an important role in enabling the OIG to advance its mission of providing independent oversight and promoting excellence in the programs and management of DOI.
Selective Placement Factor: This position has a selective placement factor (SPF). SPFs are specific qualifications that are in addition to the minimum requirements for a position. Applicants who do not meet these requirements are ineligible for further consideration. Candidates must possess any current CISCO CERTIFIED NETWORK PROFESSIONAL (CCNP) certification to be considered. You are required to provide documentation to support your claim.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for the Selective Service.
- Successful completion of a background investigation.
- Subject to initial and random drug testing.
- Relocation expenses are not authorized.
DUTIES:Back to top
Duties: The selectee will act as a Network Administrator of the servers and applications unique to the OIG environment. In this capacity, the selectee will perform the following duties:
- Recommends installation of new or modified Network equipment (WAN or LAN) including communication lines, bridges, modems, multiplexes, network hardware and software for designing and implementing assurance measures to ultimately protect systems from intrusions or corruption by any inside/outside unauthorized entry.
- Using network management software, monitors network activity and tunes parameters where feasible to ensure optimum network performance. This includes monitoring all devices such as routers, hubs, and switches and data circuits.
- Monitors and evaluates existing telecommunications Cisco hardware and software for efficient and effective performance and recommends improvement measures as necessary. This includes in-depth analyses of all ongoing computer resource requirements, interfaces between existing systems and overall input on the network operating environment.
- Acts as a liaison to the Department regarding network integration and migration initiatives. This includes participating in conference calls and off-site meetings as necessary to stay informed of on-going developments and initiatives.
- Performs software maintenance and tuning to maintain optimum system performance and hardware utilization.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
Specialized Experience GS-14: You must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-13 grade level in the Federal Service. To be creditable, this experience must have equipped the applicant with the particular qualifications, and must typically be in or related to the position to be filled. Some examples of this qualifying experience include:
- Experience which demonstrates a thorough knowledge of the concepts, principles, and practices related to Information Technology Management.
- Experience in establishing performance metrics and evaluating LAN and WAN performance against relevant standards.
- Experience monitoring and evaluating existing telecommunications Cisco hardware and software for efficient and effective performance and recommends improvement measures as necessary.
- Experience determining procedural changes required to implement new technology and the feasibility of using existing equipment and facilities to implement technological improvements in network systems.
Click on the link below to view the qualification standards for the occupation
Time-In-Grade Requirement: Federal applicants must have served 52 weeks at the next lower grade to satisfy time-in-grade restrictions contained in 5CFR 300, Subpart F.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
You application will be evaluated on the quality and extent of your experience (paid and unpaid), education, awards, and training and self-development as it relates to the position. If you are a current or former Federal employee, you must indicate the GS or pay band level for each position that you held. If your resume includes non-government service, including contractors, please include the salaries for each position held. All work experience should specify the length of time spent in the position and tour of duty (full or part time to include number of hours). One year of general or specialized experience is equivalent to 12 months at 40 hours per week. Part-time hours are pro-rated.
Candidates are required to possess certain Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs) to successfully perform the functions of this position. Candidates will be asked to demonstrate their attainment of these KSAs in an online job questionnaire. The KSAs are:
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in establishing performance management metrics and evaluating LAN and WAN performance against relevant standards.
- Detailed knowledge of telecommunications concepts, principles, practices, procedures, policies, and operational requirements in order to implement, develop, manage, monitor, and maintain a complex worldwide telecommunications network.
- Broad knowledge of and experience with TCP/IP and associated protocols including UDP, SMTP, HTTP, IPSEC, and DNS.
- Demonstrated knowledge of routing protocols including: OSPF and BGP as well as specific experience in using debug commands on CISCO routers and firewalls and the use of Access Control Lists (ACL).
- Ability to understand, evaluate, and translate the needs of computer users into requirements and relate user requirements to existing technology, policy and priorities; and identify, direct, and coordinate the actions to provide the requested services.
Your responses to the questionnaire and/or competency statements will be evaluated to determine the degree to which your skills match this position. Your responses to the self-assessment questionnaire will be validated against your resume to determine if you meet the qualification requirements for this position.
NOTE: If a determination is made that qualifications and/or experience have been inflated, your score will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities.
BENEFITS:Back to top
The Department of the Interior offers a comprehensive benefits package that may include, in part, paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, life insurance; health benefits, and participation in the Federal Employees Retirement system. This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered to Federal employees. http://www.opm.gov/Insure/health/enrollment/new_employees.asp
- Selected applicants must undergo and successfully obtain and maintain a background investigation for a (Secret or Top Secret) clearance. Failure to maintain a clearance is grounds for removal.
- You must meet initial and periodic suitability determinations based on favorable background investigations and updates. Failure to maintain a favorable suitability determination is grounds for removal.
- Selected applicants are subject to initial and random drug testing. Failure to pass a Drug Test is grounds for removal.
- Periodic travel may be required.
- Selectees must complete a one year probationary or trial period unless already completed or exempted by special authority.
CTAP: Individuals who have special priority selection rights under the Agency Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) must be rated at 85 or above on the rating criteria for the position to receive consideration for special priority selection. Federal employees seeking CTAP eligibility must submit proof that they meet the requirements of 5 CFR 330.605 (a) for CTAP. This includes a copy of the agency notice, a copy of their most recent Performance Rating and a copy of their most recent SF-50 noting current position, grade level, and duty location. Please annotate your application to reflect that you are applying as a CTAP eligible.
Telework: The OIG has determined that the duties of this position are suitable for telework and the selectee may be allowed to telework with supervisor approval.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
To apply for this position, you must complete the occupational questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Friday, June 28, 2013 to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
- Click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application package.
- It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
- To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account,https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the more informationlink for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.
If you completed the occupational questionnaire online and are unable to upload supporting document(s):
- To fax your documents, you must use the following cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdfand provide the required information. The Vacancy ID is 914475 Fax your documents to 1-478-757-3144.
If you cannot complete the Application Package online, you may fax all of your materials. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Friday, June 28, 2013 to receive consideration. Keep a copy of your fax confirmation in the event verification is needed.
To complete the occupational questionnaire and submit via fax:
- Click the following link to view and print the occupational questionnaire View Occupational Questionnaire.
- Print the 1203FX form, follow the instructions and provide your responses to the occupational questionnaire items http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdfimage/opm1203fx.pdf.
- Fax all six pages of the completed 1203FX form along with any supporting documents to 1-478-757-3144. Your 1203FX will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.
- Resume your resume must contain information sufficient to make a valid determination that you fully meet the basic/specialized experience requirements as stated in this vacancy announcement and OPM qualification standards for each grade level(s) for which you are applying.
- SF-50 Notification of Personnel Action- documenting proof of competitive status, tenure, position, grade level and step.
- Performance Appraisal: All current Federal employees and reinstatement eligible applicants must submit a copy of the most recent completed annual performance appraisal, dated within the last year and includes the final rating.
- CTAP such as a RIF separation notice, certificate of expected separation, SF-50 Notification of Personnel Action stating you were separated by RIF, OR a letter from your agency documenting your priority consideration status.
- If you are applying under a special hiring authority (e.g. 30% compensable disabled veterans, severely handicapped individuals, former Peace Corp and VISTA volunteers, etc), you MUST indicate on your application the special program and submit proof of eligibility with your application. Individuals who are eligible for consideration will be a considered non-competitively for this vacancy.
- CISCO CERTIFIED NETWORK PROFESSIONAL (CCNP) certification - you must submit documentation showing that you possess a current CCNP certification.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
Once the online questionnaire is received, you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. After the closing date of the announcement, we will review your resume to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. You will be notified of your rating and/or referral of your resume to the hiring official. If further evaluation or interviews are required, you will be contacted. You will be informed of the outcome via e-mail. We expect to make a selection within 45 to 60 days of the closing date of the vacancy announcement.