Do you desire to protect American interests and secure our Nation while building a meaningful and rewarding career? If so, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling. DHS components work collectively to prevent terrorism, secure borders, enforce and administer immigration laws, safeguard cyberspace and ensure resilience to disasters. The vitality and magnitude of this mission is achieved by a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
Apply for this exciting position to support the CG missions of safeguarding our Nation's maritime interests in the heartland, in the ports, at sea, and around the globe.
For over two centuries the The U.S. Coast Guard has protected the maritime economy and the environment, we defend our maritime borders, and we save those in peril. This history has forged our character and purpose as America's Maritime Guardian - Always Ready for all hazards and all threats.
The vacancy is being concurrently advertised under merit promotion procedures for status applicants under announcement 13-1128-WE-NC-M. APPLICANTS WISHING TO BE CONSIDERED UNDER BOTH DELEGATED EXAMINING AND MERIT PROMOTION PROCEDURES MUST APPLY TO BOTH VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENTS.
NOTE: YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS DELEGATED EXAMINING VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT WILL ONLY ALLOW CONSIDERATION FOR THIS ANNOUNCEMENT. WE CANNOT ELECTRONICALLY OR MANUALLY MOVE YOUR APPLICATION TO THE CONCURRENTLY ADVERTISED MERIT PROMOTION ANNOUNCEMENT. PLEASE ENSURE YOU ARE APPLYING UNDER THE CORRECT ANNOUNCEMENT.
This position is located in the Department of Homeland Security, U. S. Coast Guard, DOL, Base Kodiak, Facilities Engineer Department, in Kodiak, AK.
The incumbent serves as the sole mechanical engineering specialist in a multidisciplinary team, responsible for the design, layout, and construction of new and/or extension, conversion, or modernization of existing Coast Guard modern or historical facilities.
Being a Coast Guard civilian makes you a valuable member of the Coast Guard team. Typical work assignments include:
- Developing and reviewing mechanical designs, plans and specifications for facilities such as buildings, power and steam generation/distribution, heating, ventilating and air conditioning, fuel storage and distribution, docking/berthing, lifting equipment, aircraft support, coast and harbor protection, antennas/towers, and offshore structures
- Preparing drawings and specifications for in-house or contracted A/E services and reviewing the contractor's resultant designs
- Serving as technical advisor and providing technical support to engineers in other specialties
- Performing or directing the survey and investigations at project sites to determine facility condition and obtaining necessary data before initiating design
- Evaluating design and construction objectives; performing complex technical calculations; identifying the most economical and efficient procedures for project design and performance considering all influences; and preparing the necessary drawings, specifications, and supporting documents for advertised or negotiated procurements
- Coordinating with other engineers and architects in design development to ensure coverage of all technical areas, resolving overlapping intra-disciplinary responsibilities concerning attention to design, and meeting all project objectives and schedules
- Preparing correspondence, technical reports, estimates, fact sheets, status reports, and schedules as required to complete project developments
- Reviewing, evaluating, and determining compliance or noncompliance of shop drawings, samples, certificates of compliance, laboratory analyses, and other submittal and data from contractors covered by government contracts for contract and performance requirements
- Evaluating technical data on materials, equipment, shop drawings, proposals for modifications and additions, and methods of installation submitted by contractors
- Using the AUTOCAD system for design standardization and construction ability