- Degree in museum work; or in an applicable subject-matter field. OR
- Combination of education and experience - courses equivalent to a major, as shown above, plus appropriate experience or additional education. OR
- Four years of experience that provided knowledge comparable to that normally acquired through the successful completion of the 4-year course of study.
In addition to the Basic Requirements listed above: You qualify for this position if you possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-11 level in the Federal Service or comparable pay band system. For this position Specialized experience is defined as acquisitioning and managing a museum’s collections, exhibitions, publications, curatorial aspects of collections stewardship and preservations, and doing research relating to African American history and culture focusing on one or more of the following: military, religion, and/or the Diaspora.
Part-time and/or unpaid experience related to this position will be considered to determine the total number of years and months of experience. Be sure to note the number of paid or unpaid hours worked each week.
For a full explanation of this option please see the Group Coverage Qualification Standards for Professional and Scientific Positions. Special Instructions for Foreign Education: If you are qualifying by education and/or you have education completed in a foreign college/university described above, it is your responsibility to provide transcripts and proof of U.S. accreditation for foreign study. For instructions on where to fax these documents, see the "Required Documents" section of this announcement.
Veterans Employment Opportunities Act (VEOA): If you applying as for a VEOA appointment, you must be a veteran must be honorably separated and either a preference eligible or have substantially completed 3 or more years of active service. ("Active Service" under this law means active duty in a uniformed service and includes full-time training duty, annual training duty, full-time National Guard duty, and attendance, while in the active service, at a school designated as a service school by law or by the Secretary concerned.) A veteran who is released under honorable conditions shortly before completing a 3-year tour is also eligible.
Noncompetitive Appointment Authorities: The following links contain information on the eligibility requirements to be considered under a noncompetitive appointing authority:
Qualification requirements, including one year time-in-grade at the next lower grade level for promotion candidates, must be met within 30 days of the job announcement closing date.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application will be evaluated first for the basic qualifications described above. The applications that meet the basic qualifications will be evaluated further against the following criteria:
BASIS OF RATING:
- Skill in conducting original research and reporting on research topics in the field of African American military, religion, and/or Diasporic history and culture for a scholarly audience and in a format that encourages public understanding.
- Ability to communicate in writing and conduct scholarly research that results in published materials.
- Skill in developing and building a collection documenting the African American experience, history, and culture.
- Skill in planning and implementing museum exhibition programs related to African American history and culture.
- Ability to communicate orally as a consultant and advisor to colleagues, educational institutions, research foundations, government agencies, and the general public.
Once the announcement closes, your application will be automatically evaluated and rated by the system and a Human Resources Specialist
. To determine if you are qualified for this job, a review of your application and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the occupational questionnaire. The numeric rating you receive is based on your responses to the questionnaire. The score is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the knowledge, skills, and abilities required of this position. If, after the Human Resources Specialist
reviews your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that the score you have received is not a true reflection of your qualifications and/or experience, your score can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect the information you provided that support your abilities
. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.Your resume should provide detailed information regarding how your education and experience relate to this position, including the major duties and qualifications criteria listed. To preview questions please click here.