This position entails being the Command Security Officer for the Coast Guard Command, Control, and Communications Engineering Center located in Portsmouth, VA. The CSO works under the direction of the Commanding Officer, Executive Officer and Command Logistics Division Chief, and is ultimately responsible for all national security information at C3CEN.
Being a CG civilian makes you a valuable member of the CG team. Typical work assignments include:
- Coordinating, implementing, and providing government oversight for security efforts for a significant organizational segment of an agency, in this case the Coast Guard Command Control and Communications Engineering Center (C3CEN).
- Providing direction to the various Command Duty Officers (CDOs), watch standers, lab managers, and personnel throughout the Command to ensure an effective, secure operation that is responsive to government and contractor security needs.
- Coordinating, interfacing, and agreements with Base Portsmouth Security Office on matters pertaining to the physical security program and to identify and resolve, or to assign responsibilities for resolving, security issues that are common to C3CEN.
- Preparing and reviewing reports of physical security surveys and inspections, advising management of deficiencies.
- Managing a security program for an agency facility and provides leadership in the implementation of program initiatives.
- Determining the need for, investigates, and analyzes state-of-the-art security systems.
- Determining the most effective and efficient facility security systems needed and procures the systems for use in such areas as surveillance activities, photographic identification, access control, and alarms.
- Reviewing and analyzing the effects of proposed and actual changes to security policies and guidelines that impact C3CEN.