The incumbent performs all kinds of Sheetmetal and Boat Joiner tasks involved in the construction, repair, maintenance, overhaul and conversion of a wide variety of types and sizes of marine craft and vessels and in connection with miscellaneous manufacturing projects performed at the Yard.
Being a civilian in the Coast Guard makes you a valuable team member. Responsibilities include:
* Constructing staging for ship work, builds temporary wood supports and shoring of various kinds.
* Installing temporary protective wallboard and covering on interior decks and furniture.
* Removing, repairing and installing fiberglass insulation, insulation pins, brattice cloth, fiberglass tapes, and acoustical insulation on plating, structural members, ducts, air conditioning units, etc.
* Establishing critical lines and layouts for installation of bulkheads, furniture, decks and coamings.
* Installing various underlayments, topcoats, and deck treatments to include: Di-electric matting, carpet, tile, and specialty coverings.
* Demonstrating and encouraging safe and efficient work practices.
* Cutting, punching, drilling and otherwise shaping sheetmetal using shears, rolls, saws, brakes, bending machines and other metal forming machines.