This position is located in the National Museum of African Art, Smithsonian. The incumbent provides creative leadership for the Museum's Education Department, overseeing the development and implementation of educational programs for adults, youths, teachers and school children.
The Smithsonian Institution values and seeks a diverse workforce. Join us in "Inspiring Generations through Knowledge and Discovery."
- Directs the activities of the Education Department, including its services to elementary and secondary schools, teachers, university students, museum and academic professionals, family groups, and all other adult audiences.
- Oversees the Museum's docent program, developing and implementing training programs for new docents, organizing monthly docent in-service programs, and overseeing the professionalism of the Museum's all volunteer docent corps.
- Responsible for planning, developing and evaluating all educational and public programs, including written materials.
- Develops and implements a diverse range of scholarly programs appealing primarily, though not exclusively, to adult audiences.
- Develops with department colleague's annual budgets and spending plans and manages federal and trust funds allocated to the department.