Applicants must have at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the next lower grade level in the Federal service as defined in the next paragraphs. Specialized experience is experience which is directly related to the position which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) to successfully perform the duties of the position.
For GS-09: Specialized experience is experience which includes assisting the liaison to promote sustainable and environmental responsible practices; participating in sustainability programs and initiatives in the areas of waste reduction, energy and water reductions, increasing telework participation, fleet management, green procurement and sourcing, electronics management or climate change adaptation plans.
For GS-11: Specialized experience is experience which includes serving as a liaison to promote sustainable and environmental responsible practices; assisting with developing policies and procedures to assist the agency in reaching sustainability goal, objectives, and priorities; supporting sustainability programs and initiatives to meet sustainability goals in the areas of waste reduction, energy and water reductions, increasing telework participation, fleet management, green procurement and sourcing, electronics management and/or climate change adaptation plans.
SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION FOR EXPERIENCE:
For GS-09: Masters or equivalent graduate degree in a related field of study from an accredited college and/or university, OR completed two full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree, OR LL.B. or J.D., if related.
For GS-11: Ph.D., or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a doctoral degree or LL.M. if related.
Combination of graduate level education and experience that meets 100% of the qualification requirements for this position.
Documenting experience: In accordance with Office of Personnel Management policy, federal employees are assumed to have gained experience by performing duties and responsibilities appropriate for their official series and grade level as described in their position description. Experience that would not normally be part of the employee's position is creditable, however, when documented by satisfactory evidence, such as a signed memorandum from the employee's supervisor or an SF-50 or SF-52 documenting an official detail or other official assignment. The documentation must indicate whether the duties were performed full time or, if part time, the percentage of times the other duties were performed. It is expected that this documentation is included in the employee's official personnel record. In order to receive credit for experience in your resume that is not within the official series and grade level of your official position, you must provide a copy of the appropriate documentation of such experience as indicated above.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov.
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
5. One-year probationary period may be required.
6. Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will be paid: No
7. Bargaining Unit Position: Yes
8. Drug Screening Required: No
9. Travel required with position: Yes, 15%
10. Recruitment Bonus may be authorized: No
11. Research position: No
12. Promotion potential: Yes: This position has promotion potential to GS-12. Promotion to the next grade level is at management's discretion and is based on your meeting qualifications and time-in-grade requirements, demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for the higher level duties, and administrative approval. Promotion to the next grade level is not guaranteed and no promise of promotion is implied.
13. Supervisory position: No
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of the resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility. Category rating procedures will be used to rate and rank candidates. The category assignment is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the competencies required for this position. Qualified candidates will be ranked into one of three categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified or Qualified.
The Category Rating Process does not add veterans preference points but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligibles who meet the minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-9 level or higher). Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics). You do not have to respond to the KSAs separately but your resume should contain sufficient information to demonstrate possession of the KSAs.
1. Ability to serve as a liaison to promote sustainable and environmentally responsible practices.
2. Ability to work with the Sustainability Officer and leaders across the agency, to write new internal policies or recommendations based on federal directives, departmental issuance or other key changes in voluntary practices by a highly influential organization.
3. Skills in serving as a liaison to facilitate communication and coordinating among all relevant parties and assures consistency, accuracy and quality of sustainability related program efforts.
4. Ability to coordinates and maintains relationship with other organizations units; other federal agencies; state and local governments; academic entities; and other key partners including national and international organizations.
5. Skill in oral and written communications.