Minimum Qualifications Police Officer, GS-0083-09: One year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade (GS-08). Specialized experience is experience that provided knowledge of a body of basic laws and regulations, law enforcement operations, practices, and techniques and involved responsibility for maintaining order and protecting life and property. Creditable specialized experience may have been gained in work on a police force; through service as a military police officer; in work providing visitor protection and law enforcement in parks, forests, or other natural resource or recreational environments; in performing criminal investigative duties; or in other work that provided the required knowledge and skills.
To view the complete Individual Occupational Requirement for this series click here.
Additional Requirements: In addition to meeting the minimum qualifications the applicant must also successfully pass the physical evaluations/tests of this position including but not limited to:
Pre-employment Physical Examination: Applicants must be able to meet the established Medical Evaluation Guidelines as well as the established hearing standards and discern colors, contrast, and depth for this occupational series. Click here to view the applicable requirements.
Physical Agility Fitness Testing: Physical evaluations include 1.5 mile run in 16 minutes 17 seconds or less, 300 meter run in 66 seconds or less, a minimum of 32 push-ups (untimed), Agility run of 18.1 seconds or less, and vertical jump with a minimum height of 16.5 inches. (Note: A medical clearance from your private physician may be provided clearing you to take the annual Physical Agility Test (PAT). This medical clearance is subject to the reviewing medical officer's approval.)
Pre-employment Drug Screening: Applicant is required to pass a pre-emploment drug screen.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
· Knowledge of security concepts, principles, and methodologies to plan and implement standardization/evaluation programs.
· Knowledge of wing security forces missions, functions, and structure.
· Ability to conduct testing and inspections, evaluate results, and prescribe or recommend corrective measures for deficiencies.
· Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
· Ability to establish effective working relationships with Security Forces branch/section chiefs, contributing to a cooperative work environment and successful accomplishment of the mission.
· Knowledge of applicable law enforcement and security rules, regulations, instructions, practices, principles, and procedure including force protection, integrated base defense, anti-terrorism and physical security.
· Knowledge of police officer procedure and operating methods to perform the full range of police officer activities, independently to include protection level resources, installation entry control, armed response and dispatch.
· Ability to operate the Incident Management System and the Security Force Management Information System.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
Education may NOT be substituted for the required specialized experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT/OTHER SIGNIFICANT FACTS:
- This may be a Testing Designated Position. The incumbent may be subject to pre-employment drug testing as a condition of employment and participation in random drug testing.
- The work may require the employee to drive a motor vehicle. An appropriate, valid drivers license will be required for the position.
- Incumbent must be qualified in the use of required weapons.
- This position is covered by the Domestic Violence Misdemeanor Amendment (30 Sep 96) of the Gun Control Act (Lautenberg Amendment) of 1968. An individual convicted of a qualifying crime of domestic violence may not perform the duties of this position.
- Must pass an initial pre-employment medical examination, periodic medical examinations, required initial and annual Air Force physical fitness/physical agility tests, meet established hearing standards and discern colors, contrast, and depth.
- May occasionally be required to work other than normal duty hours. Overtime may be required. May be required to wear special protective clothing such as coats, boots, vest, gas masks, and/or helmets.
- Must undergo initial and periodic job compatibility assessments.
- Must obtain and maintain current required certifications in CPR techniques, self aid buddy care, and first aid.
- Must wear a uniform and meet applicable Air Force dress and appearance standards.
- Must obtain and maintain an appropriate security clearance.
- Must pass initial formal law enforcement training school as determined by functional.
- Work may require travel away from the normal duty station on military and commercial aircraft.
- Incumbent will be exposed to the day-to-day dangers associated with law enforcement and security duties and to high levels of noise such as aircraft engines.
- This position may be designated as mission essential based on local conditions. Mission essential personnel report for duty at normal times when the base is closed or delayed reporting, and remain on duty during phased or early release.
- This position may be designated as a key position. Incumbents must be removed from their military recall status if alternatives for filling the position during an emergency are not available.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
NOTE REGARDING BASIS OF RATING: The rating you receive is based on YOUR responses to the questionnaire. The score is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the specialized experience, education requirements (if applicable), and knowledge, skills and abilities required of this position. If after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience; your score may be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.
BASIS OF RATING: Your application will be rated under Category Rating procedures based on the extent to which your experience in your resume meet the KSAs required for the position. If you meet the basic qualification requirements for the position, your application will be assessed and placed into one of the following three quality categories: Best Qualified -Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for announced position. Highly Qualified - Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience
above the minimum requirements for announced position. Qualified -Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for announced position. Click here.