Job Title: General Engineer, GS-0801-9/11/12 (Open to Status and VEOA Eligibles) BBJob Announcement Number: FTA.R10-2013-0003
Department: Department Of Transportation
Agency: Federal Transit Administration
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Monday, June 17, 2013 to
Wednesday, June 26, 2013
SERIES & GRADE:
Full Time - -
WHO MAY APPLY:
If you are NOT a status employee or VEOA eligible, you may wish to apply under announcement FTA.R10-2013-0004, which is open to all U.S. citizens.
- Current or former Federal employees with status OR
- Veterans eligible under VEOA
Dedicated to delivering results that matter to the American people, the FTA supports, improves, and promotes effective public Transportation, the Nation's fastest growing mode of travel. Through the administration, management, and oversight of a $10 billion annual grant program, FTA supports the development and construction of subway, light rail, and bus systems to help communities provide travel choices; improve access to jobs and health care; drive economic growth; and protect the environment.
You will serve as a Regional Engineer and assist in the management of the regional Project Management Oversight Consultant Program which is engaged in detailed oversight of regional major construction projects and complex capital programs; consult and provide engineering and project management of a specialized and innovative nature to senior staff, program managers, and grantees in the form of construction techniques, solutions to problems, innovations in procurement, etc. You will ensure that projects are properly designed and managed to achieve the approved purpose and are completed on schedule and within budget. You will perform on-site reviews to inspect projects during the development stage and on-going construction.
This position is ideal for an engineering professional with a desire to integrate engineering and design concepts into public transportation projects.
PLEASE NOTE: If interviewed for this position - at the interview stage, candidates will be given a topic to use to draft a writing sample.
- You must be a status candidate and meet specialized experience
- Submit application and resume online by 11:59 PM EST on the closing date
- Provide all required documents by closing date
- Position is telework eligible
- Announcement also advertised to U.S. citizens: FTA.R10-2013-0004
- Announcement may be used to fill similar positions within 30 days
DUTIES:Back to top
At the full performance level, a General Engineer:
- Manages the Regional Project Management Oversight Consultant Program which is engaged in detailed oversight of Regional major construction projects and complicated capital programs.
- Consults and provides engineering and project management of a considerably specialized and innovative nature to senior staff, program managers, and grantees in the form of construction techniques, solutions to problems, innovations in procurement, etc.
- Develops project management actions on FTA funded projects including assistance to grantees on procurement matters, disposition of real and personal property, request for Buy America waivers, and monitoring of progress reports, projects budgets and other financial assistance instruments.
- Identifies risks factors in the major capital projects and determines that each element of the project is safe, technically feasible and cost effective.
- Advises grantees of changes in FTA guidelines for project administration. Assist the Regional Team in the development of Full Funding Grant Agreements on major capital projects. Reviews project progress reports, financial statements and schedules and compares them with the latest approved budgets and provides information to the Director, Office of Operations and Program Management of the status of projects. Identifies and reports upon grantees problems. Initiates quarterly grantee program review meetings.
- Reviews grant applications in FTA’s electronic grant management database (TEAM) and provides information on proposed scope, schedule and budget to the grant processor. Reviews quarterly grant progress reports and financial status reports in TEAM and provides feedback to grantees and regional staff on those reports.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
To meet the minimum qualifications for this position, you must (1) meet the Education Requirement for the series, (2) provide a copy of transcripts for verification, AND (3) meet either the education or experience qualifications for the grade at which you are requesting consideration.
Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
2 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree OR master's or equivalent graduate degree
- Experience using engineering design and construction concepts, principles and procedures to assist in resolving problems related to public works constructions projects.
You can also qualify based on a combination of education and experience
3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree OR Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree
- Experience resolving engineering problems related to public works construction projects including developing approaches to guide and determine the effectiveness of proposed or current policies/programs.
You can also qualify based on a combination of Education and Experience
There is no education substitute
- Experience resolving engineering problems on public works construction projects including extending and modifying design and construction engineering techniques.
MANDATORY EDUCATION REQUIREMENT
All applicants must meet one of the following
requirements to qualify for consideration for an
- Successful completion of a professional
engineering degree at an accredited university
- Have a combination of college level
education or training AND technical experience
that has furnished you with
(1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and
mathematical sciences underlying professional
(2) a good understanding, both theoretical and
practical, of the engineering sciences and
techniques and their applications to one of the
branches of engineering. The adequacy of such
background must be demonstrated by one of the
- Professional registration as a
- Evidence of Passing the Engineer-in-Training
- Successful documented completion of at least
60 semester hours of courses in the physical,
mathematical, and engineering sciences as
described by OPM.
- Successful completion of a curriculum
leading to a bachelor's degree in engineering
technology or in an appropriate professional
field and at least 1 year of professional
engineering experience acquired under
professional engineering supervision and
Please review the OPM page on specifics about
required curriculum and for more information on
qualifications, please visit GS-800:
All Professional Engineering Positions
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for the Selective Service.
- You must complete a one-year probationary period (unless already completed).
- Government Travel Card - You must be able to obtain and retain a Government contractor-issued travel card to be used for official business as a condition of employment. If unable to obtain and/or retain a card, you may be subject to removal. Those who fail to meet this condition of employment will have our offer of employment rescinded.
- Time-in-Grade - Federal applicants must have served 52 weeks at the next lower grade to satisfy time-in-grade requirements contained in 5 CFR 300, Subpart F.
- WRITING SAMPLE- If interviewed for this position - at the interview stage, candidates will be given a topic to use to draft a writing sample.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
The Automated Staffing Office is ultimately responsible for determining your final rating. Please ensure that your resume and application provide enough detail to support your answers to the Vacancy Specific Questions. Your application will be rated on the extent and quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the position. Your answers to the Vacancy Specific questions, your self-determined rating, resume and supporting documentation are reviewed. If your resume and supporting documents do not support your answers to the Vacancy Specific Questions, your final rating may be modified.
To preview questions please click here.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
You must submit a complete application package (including resume, vacancy questions and supporting documents) no later than midnight Eastern Time on the closing date of the announcement.
- To begin, click the Apply Online button on the job announcement.
- Follow the directions to register, submit all required documents and complete the assessment questionnaire.
- You may review your saved application(s) at https://my.usajobs.gov.
If you are having difficulty applying online, send an email to email@example.com or call us at (202)366-1298.
The following documents must
be provided by the close date:
Failure to submit any of the required documents by the closing date of the vacancy will result in your removal from consideration for this position.
- RESUME - Showing relevant experience and education and fully supporting the required specialized experience.
- COMPLETED QUESTIONNAIRE
- TRANSCRIPTS - Verifying that you meet the stated education requirements for the series OR an SF-50 showing that you have already qualified and worked in the federal service in this series. The transcripts need not be official. If you are qualifying based on possessing a current Professional Engineer (PE) license, or passing the Engineer in Training (EIT) exam, please provide a copy of PE license or written documented proof of passing the EIT.
- SF-50 - Which verifies grade, full performance level of position, and eligibility for consideration as a status applicant
- DD214 - Verifying military service and eligibility for consideration under the Veterans Employment Opportunity Act.
- SPECIAL APPOINTING AUTHORITY DOCUMENTS - If requesting concurrent consideration for Non-competitive (NC) appointment eligibility (e.g. military spouse or persons with disabilities), you must provide appropriate supporting documentation such as PCS orders describing move & marriage certificate; letter from VA or DD214 describing 100% disability of spouse; letter from State Vocational Office certifying disability, etc. For more information, visit military spouse NC appointments or Persons with Disabilities NC appointments. Documents are only required if requesting non-competitive consideration.
- DISPLACED EMPLOYEE PLACEMENT DOCUMENTS - Only required if requesting priority consideration under CTAP/ICTAP. You must submit ALL of the following: (1) your most recent performance appraisal, (2) the proof of eligibility letter from the Agency, and (3) your most current SF-50, displaying current series and grade. In addition, you must meet the well qualified standards for this vacancy (meeting minimum requirements for position and scoring at least an 85).
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
You may check your application status by logging into your USAJOBS account. Within two weeks of the closing date, your application will be reviewed and rated. Ratings will be determined based on the documents and information received by the closing date. The most highly qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration. If you are selected for an interview, the hiring manager will contact you directly. Once a hiring decision is made, we will notify all applicants of their final status.