Dedicated to delivering results that matter to the American people, the FTA supports, improves, and promotes effective public Transportation, the Nation's fastest growing mode of travel. Through the administration, management, and oversight of a $10 billion annual grant program, FTA supports the development and construction of subway, light rail, and bus systems to help communities provide travel choices; improve access to jobs and health care; drive economic growth; and protect the environment.
You will serve as a Regional Engineer and assist in the management of the regional Project Management Oversight Consultant Program which is engaged in detailed oversight of regional major construction projects and complex capital programs; consult and provide engineering and project management of a specialized and innovative nature to senior staff, program managers, and grantees in the form of construction techniques, solutions to problems, innovations in procurement, etc. You will ensure that projects are properly designed and managed to achieve the approved purpose and are completed on schedule and within budget. You will perform on-site reviews to inspect projects during the development stage and on-going construction.
This position is ideal for an engineering professional with a desire to integrate engineering and design concepts into public transportation projects.
PLEASE NOTE: If interviewed for this position - at the interview stage, candidates will be given a topic to use to draft a writing sample.
At the full performance level, a General Engineer:
- Manages the Regional Project Management Oversight Consultant Program which is engaged in detailed oversight of Regional major construction projects and complicated capital programs.
- Consults and provides engineering and project management of a considerably specialized and innovative nature to senior staff, program managers, and grantees in the form of construction techniques, solutions to problems, innovations in procurement, etc.
- Develops project management actions on FTA funded projects including assistance to grantees on procurement matters, disposition of real and personal property, request for Buy America waivers, and monitoring of progress reports, projects budgets and other financial assistance instruments.
- Identifies risks factors in the major capital projects and determines that each element of the project is safe, technically feasible and cost effective.
- Advises grantees of changes in FTA guidelines for project administration. Assist the Regional Team in the development of Full Funding Grant Agreements on major capital projects. Reviews project progress reports, financial statements and schedules and compares them with the latest approved budgets and provides information to the Director, Office of Operations and Program Management of the status of projects. Identifies and reports upon grantees problems. Initiates quarterly grantee program review meetings.
- Reviews grant applications in FTA’s electronic grant management database (TEAM) and provides information on proposed scope, schedule and budget to the grant processor. Reviews quarterly grant progress reports and financial status reports in TEAM and provides feedback to grantees and regional staff on those reports.