This position has a basic educational requirement:
Applicants must have successfully completed one of the following:
A. A degree in physical sciences, life sciences, or engineering that included 30 semester hours in chemistry, supplemented by course work in mathematics through differentials and integral calculus, and at least 6 semester hours in physics; or
B. A combination of education and experience - course work equivalent to a major as shown in A above, including at least 30 semester hours in chemistry, supplemented by mathematics through differential and integral calculus, and at least 6 semester hours of physics, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
A. A degree in microbiology; or biology, chemistry, or basic medical science that included at least 20 semester hours in microbiology and other subjects related to the study of microorganisms, and 20 semester hours in the physical and mathematical sciences combining course work in organic chemistry or biochemistry, physics, and college algebra, or their equivalent; or
B. A combination of education and experience - courses equivalent to a major in microbiology, biology, chemistry, or medical science that included courses as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
In addition to meeting the educational requirements, candidates must possess one year of specialized experience at the next lower grade: GS-14: 52 weeks of specialized experience at least equivalent to the GS-13 level.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Experience directly related to the position to be filled which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position. Examples of specialized experience includes directing laboratory operations; developing, implementing, and providing guidance on laboratory operational science policies and procedures; and coordinating and monitoring a science laboratory workload and product relative to a broad/complex science and consumer protection mission.
TIME-IN-GRADE REQUIREMENT: (Must be met within 30 days of the announcement closing date):
GS-14: Applicants must have 52 weeks at the GS-13 or higher.
SUPERVISORY QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENT: The candidate chosen for this position must serve a one-year supervisory probationary period if s/he has not previously been a supervisor in the Federal service.
Documenting experience: In accordance with Office of Personnel Management policy, federal employees are assumed to have gained experience by performing duties and responsibilities appropriate for their official series and grade level as described in their position description. Experience that would not normally be part of the employee's position is creditable, however, when documented by satisfactory evidence, such as a signed memorandum from the employee's supervisor or an SF-50 or SF-52 documenting an official detail or other official assignment. The documentation must indicate whether the duties were performed full time or, if part time, the percentage of times the other duties were performed. It is expected that this documentation is included in the employee's official personnel record. In order to receive credit for experience in your resume that is not within the official series and grade level of your official position, you must provide a copy of the appropriate documentation of such experience as indicated above.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov.
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
5. Financial disclosure statement may be required.
6. Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will be paid: YES
7. Bargaining Unit Position: NO
8. Drug Screening Required: NO
9. Recruitment Bonus may be authorized: NO
10. Research position: NO
11. Supervisory position: YES - Probationary requirement - the selectee will be required to serve a one-year supervisory/managerial probationary period unless the requirement was previously met in the Federal service.
12. Time in grade (TIG) must be met within 30 days of the closing date of the announcement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of the resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility. Merit Promotion Procedures for the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) procedures will be used to rate and rank candidates. The category assignment is a measure of the degree in which your background matches the competencies required for this position. Qualified candidates will be ranked into one of two categories: Best Qualified or Qualified.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
1. Knowledge of the basic legislation, law, precedents, and regulations which govern the activities of a scientific laboratory.
2. Knowledge of sciences and technologies which apply to the science and consumer protection mission of a scientific analysis laboratory.
3. Knowledge of the management, administration and supervisory practices and procedures required to manage, plan and direct the work of a staff through subordinate supervisors in a laboratory.
4. Ability to communicate orally and in writing.