Morehead City provides:
· Primary care services for veterans in and around Morehead City, North Carolina.
· Behavioral Health services including individual, group and family counseling.
· Handicapped Accessible: full and easy access for all veterans.
· Personal Care: Highly qualified primary care providers, specialty care referrals to the Durham VA Medical Center.
· Laboratory: Blood drawing services available.
· Prescriptions: Routine prescriptions processed through the mail or My HealtheVet.
The Nurse Practitioner practices general medicine with a focus on community based outpatient clinical care. Approximately 90% of his or her time is dedicated to developing and maintaining an interdisciplinary approach to the direct care of general medicine clinic patients.
This mid-level independently follows his or her own panel of general medicine patients, functioning as their primary care provider. This primary care/gatekeeper role is incumbent with a high degree of responsibility and independence.
The location of the CBOC away from the Medical Center means that assessment skills and breadth of knowledge must be superior. In addition, he or she must be a highly effective communicator in order to negotiate with consultants at the VAMC regarding the triaging of patients he or she refers. These skills are required at a level that exceeds that of VAMC-based mid-level provider.
Because of the highly integrative approach used in community based outpatient clinics, Mid-level must work closely with his or her colleagues and must serve as a leader in developing processes to improve care and satisfaction.
Enrolls patients in active Ambulatory Care research protocols and completes follow-up visits with required studies as appropriate.
The Scope of Practice of all registered nurses in all areas of clinical practice is defined in the four (4) dimensions outlined in the Nurse Qualification Standard, and is specific to the Grade:
1. PRACTICE (Practice, Ethics, Resource Utilization)
2. PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT ( Education/Career Development, Performance)
3. COLLABORATION ( Collaboration, Collegiality)
4. SCIENTIFIC INQUIRY ( Quality of Care, Research)