All qualifications must be met by the closing date of this announcement, Friday, July 12, 2013. Qualifying experience may be obtained in the private or public sectors.
Applicants must be physically fit and must possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities of the elements listed in Section 25 of the Online Occupational Questionnaire to perform the duties of the position at the level for which they are applying. A specific length of time and experience is not required; however you must be able to demonstrate the rough experience shown in your written application, that you possess sufficient knowledge, skill and ability to perform the duties of the position without more than normal supervision. Examples of experience for this position include: Specialized experience that demonstrates the ability to perform work as a Small Craft Operator (Whitewater Boat Operator)or in a similar position operating a 18 foot inflatable (rowing) raft or a 22 foot inflatable (motorized) raft. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement. You must meet level 2 on the screen out factor/element and an average of level 2 on all factors/elements in the occupational assessment questionnaire.
1. You may be required to serve a trial period of 1 year.
2. National Park Service (NPS) uniformed position. Employee will be required to wear a uniform and comply with NPS uniform standards. A uniform allowance will be provided to defray the cost of the uniform.
3. You may be required to operate a government (or private) motor vehicle as part of your official duties. Prior to your first official motor vehicle operation, and again every year thereafter (or more frequently if management determines such need exists), you will be required to sign an affidavit certifying to your possession of a valid State issued drivers license that is current and has not been revoked, suspended, canceled, or otherwise disqualified in any way to prohibit your operation of a motor vehicle. You will also submit a photocopy of your valid State issued drivers license prior to your first official motor vehicle operation, and again every year, or more frequently if management determines such need exists. Lastly, you may be required to submit (within a State sealed envelope or submitted directly by the State authorities), and at your own expense, all certified driving records from all States that discloses all valid drivers licenses, whether current or past, possessed by you. Please indicate in your application whether you possess a valid State drivers license.
4. This is a drug testing designated position, you will be required to complete a drug test prior to entry on duty and will remain in the random drug test pool.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your rating will be based on your responses to the Assessment Questionnaire and the information stated in your resume. The assessment questions relate to the following competencies that are required to perform the work of this position.
- Ability to operate an 18 foot inflatable (rowing) raft on the Colorado River or similar river.
- Ability to plan and do logistics for 10-20 day river trips.
- Ability to repair and maintain whitewater raft equipment.
- Ability to perform swift water rescue.
- Ability to perform resource monitoring, routine maintenance and visitor/concessioners contact on the Colorado River or similar river.
All answers provided in the online process must be substantiated in your application package, If your work history, competencies, and/or your supporting documents do not support your answer choices, you will not be referred to the selecting official. Please ensure that your work history provides enough detail to support your answers to the competencies.Category rating procedures will be used to rate and rank candidates. Candidates will be ranked into 3 categories:
Category Group I (Best Qualified) - applicants who possess experience and/or education that well exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position, including all selective factors and all quality ranking factors. Applicants considered best qualified must be highly proficient in all requirements of the job and be able to perform effectively in the position.
Category Group II (Well Qualified) - applicants possessing experience that exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors, and who are proficient in most of the requirements of the job.
Category Group III (Qualified) - applicants possessing experience that meets the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors, and who are proficient in some, but not all of the requirements of the job.
VETERANS PREFERENCE: Veterans Preference applies to category rating. Within each quality category, veteran's preference eligibles are listed first, including CP, CPS, XP, and TP. In addition, veterans who have a 10% or more service-connected compensable disability (CP or CPS) are placed at the top of the highest quality category (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-9 level or above or if they fail to meet positive education requirements, training, selective placement factor, etc.). Applicants referred are listed on the selection certificate alphabetically (veteran's preference eligibles before non-veterans) without scores.
Order of Consideration: Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications required by the position will be considered in the following order: (1) best qualified applicants entitled to 10-point veterans' preference who have a compensable service-connected disability of 10 percent or more (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-9 level or above or if they fail to meet positive education requirements, training, selective placement factor, etc.), best qualified applicants entitled to 10-point or 5-point veterans' preference, and then all other best qualified applicants, (2) well qualified applicants entitled to 10-point or 5-point veterans' preference and then all other well qualified applicants, (3) qualified applicants entitled to 10-point or 5-point veterans' preference and then all other qualified applicants.