Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 909291 (Include on all documents)
To fulfill President Lincoln's promise - "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" - by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries.
VA Encourages Persons with Disabilities to Apply
The Human Resources Specialist is assigned to the Employee Relations/Labor Relations Section of Human Resources Management Service at the VA Medical Center in Richmond, Virginia. The position is responsible assisting top management and supervisors in the operation of the Employee Relations/Labor Relations programs for the facility. The HR Specialist in Employee Relations/Labor Relations:
- Provides advisory services essential to enable managers and supervisors to properly plan, develop, organize, manage, and evaluate the HR employee/labor relations program.
- Responsible for providing a wide range of advisory services to managers relative to disciplinary and adverse actions, grievances, appeals, unfair labor practices, contract violations, workforce/work environment factors, Family Medical Leave Act regulations and properly appraising and rewarding employees.
- Provides a broad range of information to employees on their rights, benefits, and obligations to assist them in taking action or making decisions.
- Modifies guidelines to resolve complex, precedent-setting employee/labor relations issues; proposes new policies regarding employee/labor relations.
- Conducts extensive research into employee/labor relations cases to identify trends, patterns, or aggravating and mitigating circumstances; represents management in grievances, arbitration cases, and unfair employee/labor practice and impasse hearings.
- Develops moderately complex management positions, plans, etc. for mid-term negotiations.
- Prepares management for contract negotiations by providing contract interpretations.
- Represents management as negotiator or technical advisor and attempts to further the partnership between management and labor organizations.
- Assists supervisor in the development of complex agency positions.
- Implements negotiated agreement, providing supervisors and managers with interpretation of provisions as they apply to component practices, as well as, individual incidents.
- Provides training and orientation to supervisors and managers.
- Promotes alternate dispute resolution.
- Represents the activity as technical advisor or representative for management in third party proceedings with potential impact in several different serviced organizations. Investigates grievances, ULP charges, and union complaints on routine matters in the pre-litigation stage for possible settlement or withdrawal.
- Provides guidance, consultation, advice and assistance to management on all aspects of employee relations issues. This includes, but is not limited to: grievances, disciplinary and adverse actions, ethics; employee assistance programs; performance based actions; reasonable accommodation and a variety of leave issues including family medical leave, LWOP and authorized absence.
- Assists management in ensuring timely delivery of performance appraisals, identification of performance-related deficiencies, and proper recognition of employee contributions.
- Provides situational analysis involving moderately complex employee relations matters to determine appropriate corrective action. Develops and proposes courses of action to resolve problems based on knowledge and interpretation of administrative case law, regulations, policies, and judgment. Coordinates and communicates with the servicing staff and legal office, as appropriate.
- Prepares cases and serves as technical advisor or personally represents the organization at hearings relative to adverse actions, performance-based actions, and grievances utilizing knowledge of the policies, procedures, and precedents of relevant adjudicating bodies.
- Adjudicates suitability cases. Assures that official case files are properly maintained with complete documentation to support recommended or final action. Informs employees of their rights and the avenues available to them in dealing with work issues and concerns.
- Analyzes grievances, appeals and complaints to identify systemic problems and recommends solutions.
- May be assigned to work various related special projects using established case files, databases, etc., and presents data in an orderly and timely fashion.
Work schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Position Description Title/PD#: Human Resources Specialist (Employee Relations/Labor Relations), GS-201-11, PD#025860 (GS-201-9, #02460A)
Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Status: Exempt
Supervisory Position: No.
Bargaining Unit Position: No
Recruitment/Relocation Incentives: May be authorized
Relocation Expenses: Not authorized