The Congressional Research Service (CRS) seeks a Senior Systems Administrator to work in the Technical Operations Services section of its Office of Information Management and Technology.
The person selected for this position will have mastery of VMware technologies in a networked environment. Duties of the position include:
- Installing, moving, and de-installing hardware
- Configuring VMware-based applications
- Configuring monitoring tools and maintaining the infrastructure
- Ensuring currency of documentation of the entire virtual environment
- Executing initiatives to reduce failures and defects and improve overall performance
- Communicating with peers and managers while troubleshooting
- Managing equipment tracking (e.g. racking, decommissioning, etc.)
- Working with experienced Systems Administrators on environment maintenance
- Providing instructions and guidance on best practices to members of the team
- Administering enterprise storage
- Performing utilization and capacity analysis
- Tracking hardware inventory
- Cabling network and storage area networks (SANs)
Information technology professionals with extensive VMware and system architecture experience, excellent oral and written communication skills, and the ability to work collaboratively as well as independently to support deadlines are highly encouraged to apply.
CRS works exclusively for the United States Congress, providing policy and legal analysis to committees and Members of both the House and Senate, regardless of party affiliation. As a legislative branch agency within the Library of Congress, CRS has been a valued and respected resource on Capitol Hill for nearly a century.
CRS is well known for analysis that is authoritative, confidential, objective and nonpartisan. Its highest priority is to ensure that Congress has immediate access to the nation's best thinking on public policy issues of interest to its Members and Committees.
Plans and coordinates the installation, integration, testing, operation, troubleshooting, and maintenance of CRS server, storage, and networking infrastructure serving the research and information needs of congressional clients and CRS staff.
Participates in the coordination of contract administration activities for long term, extensive technical service contracts. Provides expert analysis and advice and develops solutions to solve issues and problems associated with agency-wide IT programs.
Leads, conducts, and participates in complex management studies and reviews.
Develops and recommends policies, guidelines, and standards for the planning, development, integration, implementation, and evaluation of information technology systems and subsystems to meet the overall information needs of the Congressional Research Service.