Find Solutions to Agricultural Problems that Affect Americans Every Day, From Field to Table
Assist with agricultural cropping systems research in field, greenhouse and/or laboratory settings. Duties include: maintaining field research sites by mowing grass alleys and controlling weeds using mechanical and/or chemical (hand-held sprayer) methods; monitoring crop status in research plots by observing crop health, measuring soil moisture, and determining plant nutrient status using soil and plant analysis; using specialized equipment for routine and recurring techniques which may also require maintaining, calibrating, and modifying the equipment based on testing and evaluation needs; collecting, preparing, evaluating, and verifying samples and supporting records; and maintaining detailed experimental records including tabulating data using a personal computer and related software. The incumbent may also maintain chemical inventories, prepare solutions and reagents for use and safely dispose of chemical and biological waste.
This position is full-time term not to exceed 13 months. It has the potential to be extended up to 4 years.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
The incumbent will:
- Collect and prepare agricultural samples for experimentation.
- Use specialized equipment to gather observable, empirical and measurable evidence from agricultural samples.
- Perform collection and organization of agricultural data as part of research or a research project according to instructions and standardized procedures.
- Document project progress including workloads, equipment, scheduling and accomplishments.
- Input and display scientific and/or technical data into spreadsheet software (e.g. Excel).
- Enter, maintain, and modify biological data in computer databases (e.g. Access).