The Transportation Safety Institute (TSI) provides premier worldwide training, products and/or services for people in the public and private sectors through innovative, state-of-the-art methods and technologies that contribute to the protection of life, property and the environment. The Research and Innovative Technology Administration (RITA) is the institute’s parent organization within the Department of Transportation (DOT).
The Transportation Safety Institute training center is located in Oklahoma City, OK at the Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center (MMAC), a large Federal Aviation Administration training and materials facility. Visit our website to learn more: http://www.tsi.dot.gov/
We are seeking to fill a permanent full-time Supervisory Transportation Specialist. This recruitment is being announced under Merit Promotion for “Status Applicants” as well as open competition to the public through the Delegated Examining Unit.
As a Supervisory Transportation Specialist, you will manage a division whose mission is to develop and deliver a broad variety of safety and security training and education to the transit industry both private and public sector. Courses equip transit personnel with high performance skills needed to effectively operate, maintain, and manage public transportation systems. S/he manages a comprehensive national program training and technical assistance for the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) including the identification, development, planning, organization, control, presentation, evaluation, and modification of training programs.
The ideal candidate is an experienced professional with expert knowledge in the areas of transit safety and security and has the ability to manage a diverse workgroup.
In addition, the ideal candidate has the knowledge and skill in developing, planning, evaluating, and modifying training programs related to the transit industry and is efficient in conducting transit safety and accident investigations.
Please carefully read and follow the instructions described in the “How to Apply” tab in this announcement.
The Supervisory Transportation Specialist,
- Directs and oversees the development of classes, course work and blocks of instruction in transit safety and security areas.
- Manages learning activities using adult education principles which provide for student practice and evaluation of student progress by staff, assuring appropriate training methods and materials are used to achieve identified learning objective.
- Serves as a consultant to the FTA Office of Safety and Security, industry, and state regulatory agencies on transit safety and accident investigations and responds to inquests to assist in timely, state-of-the-art solutions.
- Develops, submits and administers the annual work plan and budget documents; preparing and submitting required reports to the sponsoring organization.
- Directs the work of staff, plans work to be done and assigns work based on priorities and employee’s capabilities, and responsible for a wide range of human resources management functions including interviewing employees; recommending selections, promotions, and reassignments; establishing performance standards and evaluating employees performance.
- Conducts and participates in hearings, meetings, seminars, and symposiums to promote FTA programs and policies and responds to technical and administrative inquiries and provides verbal and written responses, sources of material and points of contact to assist in timely, state-of-the-art answers to critical safety questions.