This position is located in the garage of the Services Group at the U.S. Coast Guard Yard.
Being a civilian in the Coast Guard makes you a valuable member of the Coast Guard team. Typical duties include:
* Modifying the full range of systems, components, and operating mechanisms. Disassembling diesel or gasoline engines.
* Overhauling major heavy duty systems such as diesel, multi-fuel, and gasoline engines, transmissions and gear reduction systems.
* Inspecting, repairing or replacing such parts as injection valves, cylinder heads, cylinder sleeves, pistons, rights, connecting rods, bearings, gaskets and crankshafts.
* Repairing clutches, transmission systems, differentials, air compressors, pumps, filter units, superchargers, starting engines, times, generators, governors, reduction gears, hydraulic couplings, braking systems, steering systems, cooling systems, electrical systems and similar units.
* Repairing various specialized mechanical parts of equipment, such as crawler tracks and drives, winches, bulldozer blades, scoops, excavating and loading bucket chains, and other working attachments.
* Troubleshooting and testing the full range of systems on heavy vehicles and equipment.
* Repairing hydraulic pumps and cylinders, air compressors, air control valves, air cylinders, etc.
* Installing gasoline and/or diesel engines and aligns them with machinery they are to operate.
* Reboring cylinders and bearings, turning, or grinding pistons, grinding crankshafts, and turning brake drums.