Basic Qualification Requirement:
In order to qualify for Consumer Safety Officer, GS-0696-9/11, you must meet the following:
A. A degree that included at least 30 semester hours in one or a combination of the following: biological sciences, chemistry, pharmacy, physical sciences, food technology, nutrition, medical science, engineering, epidemiology, veterinary medical science, or related scientific fields that provided knowledge directly related to consumer safety officer work. The 30 semester hours can include up to 8 semester hours in statistics, or course work that included the principles, theory, or practical application of computers or computer programming; OR
B. A combination of education and experience -- courses consisting of at least 30 semester hours in the fields of study described in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
Additional Qualification Requirement:
In addition to meeting the Basic Qualification Requirement described above, you must also meet the following:
A. Have at least one year of specialized experience, equivalent to the GS-07 level in the Federal service, assisting in reviewing recommended regulatory actions involving food labeling issues; assisting in evaluating inspection, investigations and/or laboratory analytical reports of food labeling violations to determine the appropriate legal or corrective actions; assisting providing basic technical and policy advice/guidance concerning food labeling compliance to industry, Federal and State agencies and consumers; assisting in maintaining a database program, etc.; OR
B. Have two full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree or master's or equivalent graduate degree in a field of study described under the Basic Qualification Requirements above; OR
C. Have some specialized experience as described in A, but less than one year; and I have more than one year but less than two years of education as described in B. I have computed the percentage of the requirements that I meet, and the total is at least 100%. (To compute the percentage, divide your total months of qualifying experience by 12. Then divide your semester hours of graduate education beyond one year by 18. Add the two percentages. The total percentage must equal at least 100 percent to qualify.)
A. Have one year of specialized experience, equivalent to the GS-09 level in Federal service, reviewing recommended regulatory actions involving food labeling issues; evaluating inspection, investigations and/or laboratory analytical reports of violations to determine the appropriate legal or corrective action and developing a consistent approach in interpreting agency policy and regulations; providing technical and policy advice and guidance concerning food labeling compliance to industry, Federal/State agencies and consumers; preparing draft responses to correspondence from consumers, industry, academics, government agencies regarding food labeling regulatory issues; advising other offices on procedures and methods for implementing new regulations and revising existing regulations on food labeling policies and initiatives; OR
B. Have three years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree in the fields of study described under the Basic Qualification Requirements above. One year of full-time graduate education is considered to be the number of credit hours that the school attended has determined to represent one year of full-time study. If number cannot be obtained from the school, 18 semester hours will be considered an academic year of graduate study; OR
C. Have a combination of experience as described in "A" above and graduate education as described in "B" above. When combining education with experience, first determine the applicant's total qualifying education as a percentage of the education required for the grade level; then determine the applicant's experience as a percentage of the experience required for the grade level; finally, add the two percentages. The total percentage must equal at least 100 percent to qualify.
You must submit an official transcript, unofficial transcript, or a list including courses, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned. Degree requirements must be met within 30 days of the closing date of this job announcement and your transcript(s) submitted must reflect this.
This position requires that specific course(s) be demonstrated to meet the basic education requirement. Your transcript(s) must clearly demonstrate the course(s) listed in the qualification requirement section. If the transcript(s) does not clearly demonstrate this you must submit a copy of the course description and/or other documentation demonstrating that the courses are equivalent.
Failure to provide any of the above will result in an ineligible rating.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program. For further information, click on foreign education
All qualification requirements must be met by 11:59 PM (Eastern Time) on the closing date of this vacancy announcement.
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
5. Financial disclosure statement may be required.
6. One-year probationary period may be required.
7. Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will be paid: No
8. Bargaining Unit Position: Yes
9. Drug Screening Required: No
10. Recruitment incentives may be authorized: No
11. Student loan repayment incentive authorized: No
12. Annual leave for non-federal service authorized: No
13. Travel Required: No
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the job opportunity announcement closes, a review of your résumé and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job.
If, after reviewing your résumé and supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your responses when compared to your background information, your score may be adjusted to more accurately reflect your skills and abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Qualified candidates will be assigned to the following quality categories:
Best Qualified - Meets the minimum qualification requirements and excels in most requirements of the position.
Well Qualified - Meets the minimum qualification requirements and meets most requirements of the position.
Qualified - Meet the minimum qualification requirements, but does not possess the relevant competencies to a substantive degree.
The category assignment is a measure of the degree in which your background matches the required competencies listed below for this position.
- Technical Competence
- Planning and Evaluating
- Oral Communication
Application of Veterans' Preference: Under Category Rating procedures, veteran preference eligibles will receive selection consideration before non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
To preview the assessment questionnaire, click the following link:View Assessment Questions