Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
As a Consumer Safety Officer in the Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, Office of Nutrition, Labeling and Dietary Supplements, Food Labeling and Standards Staff, you will serve as the focal point for the development and evaluation of programs and the implementation of the laws and regulations related to managing the small business nutrition labeling program.
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement HHS-FDA-CFSAN-MP-13-909841 under merit promotion procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under merit promotion procedures. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
- Develop food standard and food labeling regulations/policies/guidelines, compliance strategies, enforcement policies, position papers, regulatory guidelines, and advisory opinions on issues related to food labeling for conventional foods, infant formula, medical foods, and food standards;
- Manage the review of labeling petitions other than those for health and nutrient content claims;
- Provide technical assistance and advice to industry, academia, and other public health officials in state and local government agencies, foreign government representatives/industry as well as to consumers regarding food labeling and compliance issues as necessary;
- Respond to letters and other inquiries from consumers, industry, academia and other government agencies regarding regulatory issues related to food labeling with a particular emphasis on the small business notification program;
- Advise other offices in the Center on procedures and methods for implementing new regulations and revising existing regulations and on the legal sufficiency and procedural adequacy of proposed policy statements and policy initiatives for assigned projects.